With just under two weeks to go until the 2009 SEMA show, Ford decided to tease us all with an excerpt regarding the return of the infamous 5.0-liter Mustang. Word of the 2010 Ford Racing Boss 302R spread fast late this week…and rightly so. This 400hp special edition throwback to the muscle era is a race-inspired pony car well poised to assault the aggregate at any raceway. The Boss 302R will come in its base form with a sticker price of $79,000 while its upgraded sibling, tweaked with a Grand-Am Homologation package, will post a price of $129,000 for those Mustang racers looking to get into the KONI Challenge series. There’s not a plethora of “official” details (let alone imagery) released yet and Ford is being intentionally vague here, but keep reading to check out the official dealership notice sent out to let everyone know what’s coming at SEMA 2009.
FORD RACING ANNOUNCES LIMITED EDITION 2010 BOSS 302R MUSTANG
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Mustang Boss 302′s iconic 1970 Trans-Am championship, and to build on the success of the Mustang FR500C (winner of 2005/2008/2009 Grand-Am Championships), Ford Racing is proud to announce the development of a new race-prepared road racing Mustang – the 2010 Ford Racing Boss 302R. Details of this exciting program have already begun to surface, and we want to ensure our dealers hear about it from us first.
The Ford Racing Mustang Boss 302R will be a factory-built race car, ready for track days and road racing in a number of SCCA and NASA classes. An optional Grand-Am Homologation Package will be available for the Grand-Am KONI Challenge series. While details are intentionally limited at this time, the following should help you assess the product and its appeal.
* Continue the winning tradition of Mustang racing
* Build limited to 50 units
* Off-road only (VIN replaced by serial number)
* Estimated pricing, $75,000 WD, $79,000 MSRP
* Build/delivery in 3rd -4th Qtr 2010
* Ford Racing Part #: M-FR500-BOSSR
* 400 hp (est.) 5.0L 4V engine
* 6-speed manual transmission
* Roll cage
* Race dampers/springs, brakes, tire
* Race seats, safety harness
Optional – Grand-Am Homologation Package (Part Number: M-FR500-BOSSR1) for KONI Challenge includes:
* Sealed high output race engine with upgraded cooling system
* Close ratio 6-speed transmission with integral shifter
* Seam-welded body
* Race suspension/KONI dampers and ABS brake tuning
* Race wheels/tires
* Race performance exhaust
* High speed balance 1-piece driveshaft
* Racing fuel cell
* Race data acquisition
* Grand-Am spec vehicle is estimated to be $129,000 MSRP ($124,000 WD)
* Vehicle orders should be placed with the Ford Racing warehouse, [phone number removed].
* Priority delivery will be given to multiple vehicle orders.
* An “off-road only” competition release will be required prior to delivery of the race car to the dealer.
* Production of only 50 units is under consideration for 2010, so dealers are encouraged to submit their orders before December 31, 2009.