Without an official blessing from Ford, somehow, the specifications for the 2012 Mustang Cobra Jet have surfaced (right, wrong, or indifferent) and we’re here to help spread the news. The 2010 Cobra Jet, as you see, was a serious monster released as a production car by Ford/Ford Racing, set to terrorize every drag strip imaginable, to be controlled by a limited few.
So here we are, merely facing the intro of the 2011 Mustang models, and Ford somehow manages to tease out details on a performance model set yet another year ahead. So what all is reportedly going to be included in the 2012 Mustang Cobra Jet? Well, keep reading, and let’s see if the speculation proves to be grounded…
The new 2012 Cobra Jet comes standard with an aluminum block (which was an option prior) and the 5.4-liter V8 now also holds a fortified crankshaft and upgraded forged connecting rods. Out back and under, the suspension and brakes have also been improved, with spring rates on all four corners getting tweaked to the max.
A set of hot, black anodized Weld Racing wheels are skinned with Cobra Jet labeled Goodyear tires. What’s more; three colors are up for grabs: red, white and blue, with vinyl applications as an option.
2012 Mustang Cobra Jet features:
* Revised 5.4L supercharged engine – different specifications/rating than 2008/2010 model
* Aluminum engine block
* Double keyed crankshaft snout
* Manley H-beam rods
* Improved low-drag racing brakes – Strange Engineering
* Improved rear suspension w/revised rear upper control arm and lower control arm mounts
* Revised and optimized spring rates front and rear
* New design black anodized Cobra Jet wheels – Weld Racing
* Goodyear tires – all new DR compound – Cobra Jet branded
* Brake pedal 2-step switch (micro)
* Optional colors – Race Red, Grabber Blue, and Winner White – no additional charge
* 430hp 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine (aluminum block)
* 2.3L TVS Supercharger with twin 65mm dual bore throttle body
* 3-Speed C4 Auto Race Transmission – Joel’s on Joy
* 9″ rear axle w/4.29:1 Axle Ratio – Strange Engineering
* NHRA Stock Eliminator legal interior
* 8.50et NHRA certified roll cage
* Estimated weight of 3,200 lbs
* Cobra Jet trim and appearance package
* Drag race wheel/tire combination (Rear Tire 30.0 x 9.0)
* Cobra Jet spring/adjustable damper tuning
* Light-weight, low-drag brakes (manual)
* Red (M-FR500-CJ12R)
* Grabber Blue (M-FR500-CJ12B)
* Winner White (M-FR500-CJ12W)
Optional Graphics Package:
* MSRP: $1,995.00
* Includes: Powered-By-Ford fender emblems, Sweeping Snake side graphics, 5.4 Cobra Jet hood graphics, Ford Racing windshield header decal, Ford oval front fascia decals, Ford oval license plate decal, FR500CJ decklid decal.
* Optional graphics may be unique to Cobra Jet body color.
Optional 4.0L Supercharger upgrade – M-6066-SCJ:
* MSRP: $9,995.00
* Step up to the most powerful combination in NHRA Super Stock. The 500hp 4.0L supercharged 2010 Cobra Jet has delivered mid-8 et’s, Class champions, divisional race winners and national records all in its first year on track!
* Ford Racing offers their exclusive upgrade kit to the base 2012 Cobra Jet for the racer looking to perform at the highest levels of NHRA Super Stock Competition.
* Kit includes supercharger, billet throttle-body, complete inlet system with 140mm billet mass-air housing, installation instructions, and exclusive Ford Racing race-ready calibration.
* Final horsepower rating TBD, rating will differ from 500hp 2010 model.
* 4.0L Supercharger upgrade is delivered separately and must be installed by the end user.