Earlier this week, Ford Racing put the rumor to rest that new Boss 302 5.0-liter V8 crate motors would be available outside of the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang shell. The Ford Racing catalog features the 5.0 crate engine under part #M-6007-M50B and will come fully capable of the same neck-jerk power we’ve all been drooling over…a wonderful 444 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of tire smokin’ goodness. So what’s the wallet damage for this pony car power plant? The Boss 302 crate motor will hold a sticker of $11,999…equaling a $5K bump in price over the Mustang GT crate motor’s price tag of $6,999. That doesn’t seem all to bad at first blush, but when reflection shines back, you realize it’s a steep bill for a mere 32 horsepower more. Guess the branding is the bulk of the cost…
Nonetheless, keep reading to see all the nitty gritty details on the Ford Racing aluminum 5.0-liter Mustang Boss 302 crate engine.
Boss 302 5.0L Crate Engine Specifications
Ford Racing’s aluminum 5.0L Mustang Boss 302 crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) and high flow CNC cylinder heads to deliver 444 horsepower and 380 ft.-lb.+ of torque (with premium fuel).
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
- Features large sump 8.5 qt oil pan with revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under hard cornering
- Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Ford Racing’s Daytona Prototype engine program
- 80 mm single bore “drive by wire” throttle body
- High-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
- Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
- Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
- Vehicle harness and PCM not included
- Boss 302 crate engine shown with optional Ford blue coil pack covers FRPP part # : M-6P067-M50B and NVH insulator pads, Ford dealer part # :CR3Z-6N041-A. sold separately.
- Engine mount bosses and bell housing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
- Engine weight: 444 lbs
Source: Ford RacingCategories: 2012 Mustang, Aftermarket, Ford, Mustang Tech