1988 Mustang GT Restoration/Modification

Build includes a Dart block 331, 76mm Turbo, Cobra IRS, and much more

  1. Inner fender apron welding and repair & finished engine pictures

    RacEoHolic330
    Just to recap, here's the mess I had to make of the inner fender apron to get the turbo to fit:
    [​IMG]

    So, the solution was to box in as much as I possibly could to make everything look better and a little less butchered. Took a lot of paper templates and metal trimming to get it done.

    Used a cordless jig saw to cut a 5" hole for the compressor inlet
    [​IMG]

    Cut pieces for the boxed out area around the drain fitting:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Cut more and more pieces to box the rest of the frame rail in:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I still need to weld in that missing piece and I also want to weld in some radiused pieces around the outlet to eliminate the round peg in a square hold look. Everything fits pretty well though if you ask me!
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Welded a few more pieces in around the turbo discharge. Gives it more of a finished look as opposed to just a square hole.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Also fabricated the lower radiator mount. This will get drilled and tapped for 2 mounting holes. I'll bolt the bottom radiator mounting flange to it. Rubber isolators will be used to dampen vibrations. I'll weld this to the frame once the engine is out.
    [​IMG]
    I checked clearances between the air filter, coldside piping and fender. All is well. It's tight, but it will fit.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Obviously, I can't have pieces of cardboard filling up the space in the hole for the discharge tube, so I cut some pieces and welded them in to tighten up the opening.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Finally, everything is all tacked together and ready to be fully welded:
    [​IMG]
    Engine is now out along with the trans, k-member, and IRS subframe. It's back to a shell...once again. I forgot that I had the cherry picker at the 1 ton mark instead of extended out to the 1/2 ton mark, so I was barely able to lift the engine high enough so the oil pan would clear the inner fender. I wouldn't have been pleased if I had to lower the engine back down again to adjust the hoist.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I did manage to fab up some brackets to mount my Taurus fan to my radiator. Took me longer than expected, but I move slow. I would be a terrible shop employee.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here are the parts I got back from the powder coater. The harsh light does the coating no justice. This stuff sparkles and shines like crazy in the sun.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Also a picture of the DEI plug wire sleeves. Not only are they functional, but they look nice too. They were a pain to get over the 10mm Taylor wires though. They're each essentially one long Chinese finger trap. I even called DEI for some advice to speed the process, but they had nothing constructive to offer.
    [​IMG]

    Here is the engine with a few more accessories added

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The only issue that I found with the pipes from Jet-Hot was a dent in the end of my downpipe. It's easy enough to bend it back into position though. You can see it in this picture
    [​IMG]

    The rest of the pipes came out nice too
    [​IMG]

    Call me ignorant, but I did not know Jet-Hot coated the inside of the pipes as part of their standard service. I though it was an "option" that you had to ask for. I didn't plan on coating the inside of mine, but every single pipe I got back was coated inside and out. I'm not complaining, I just didn't expect it. That definitely justifies the cost of getting the pipes coated. They really did do a nice job on them.
Return to update list...