1988 Mustang GT Restoration/Modification

Build includes a Dart block 331, 76mm Turbo, Cobra IRS, and much more

  1. Undercarriage rotisserie restoration

    RacEoHolic330
    First thing I needed to do was repair the footwell damage. I cut out all the rust-infected area.
    [​IMG]

    Made myself a new piece.
    [​IMG]

    And welded her in.
    [​IMG]
    Built myself a little rotisserie to make my life 100x easier. Beats the hell out of laying on my back and scrubbing the bottom of the car.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Credit for the rotisserie design goes to a Corral member. I stumbled upon a thread where a guy posted plans and pictures of his. I modified it a bit to work for my needs. I'll have to find the thread again.

    Although I can now work on the underside comfortably, it's still going to be a good amount of work to get everything clean up and pretty.

    Rubberized undercoating SUCKS. There really is no easy way to remove this gunk. I started doing it chemically, and then realized all that does is make it a tacky mess. Wire wheels get gunked up within minutes. I finally resorted to using a oscillating tool with a scraper blade on the end to scrape up the majority of the mess. It's making quick work, in my opinion. I'll follow that up with a knotted high-speed wire wheel and then a paint removing disc. Should hopefully get the job done.

    I also bought some POR 15 Marine Clean and Prep and Ready to give the underside a final cleaning before paint.

    Have about 95% of the junk underneath all removed. Just need to go over the hard to reach areas by hand because I couldn't get the wire wheel or scraper in some areas. Coming along though!

    The front portion is after scraping away the undercoating and hitting it with the knotted wire wheel.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Repeat until the whole underside looked like that...
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Once I get the rest of the little nooks and crannies (and wheel wells), I'll wash everything down with a solvent and then hit it with a metal prep and she will be ready for primer, paint, and then eventually bedliner.

    I have some minor rust repair and welding to do, then I can clean everything down and get to spraying.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Welded in my battery tray.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Underside is just about all ready for paint. Just need hit it with compressed air and then wash everything down with solvent and prep chemicals.
    [​IMG]

    Scuffed, washed, and prepped. All ready for some black primer. Because I was going the bedliner route, I didn't bother to get the underside 100% flawless. The bedliner will be very forgiving and will cover up my laziness.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    And finally, one coat of primer. Hopefully shooting the satin topcoat tomorrow as well.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Seam sealer!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Shot the top coat this weekend. Nothing but some simple Eastwood Chassis Black paint. I also hit the subframe connectors with some hammered texture paint. That will be the same finish on the roll bar inside the car.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Well, here she is. Underside is officially complete.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I am honestly VERY happy with the results. The pictures don't even do it justice.

    The spec sheet said to shoot it between 40-70psi. I knew that more pressure would shoot a finer mist, so I shot it at 60psi. I also kept the gun at least 12" away from the surface. On the second coat, I kept it probably 20" away. This created a final look that almost resembles the look of 80 grit sandpaper. The wheel wells have 3 decently heavy coats on them, but keeping the gun far away kept that sandpaper look even with the heavy coats. I didn't want that 'chunky' bedliner look, and I'm glad I was able to avoid it coming out heavy.

    It also hides just about all the body imperfections on the bottom as well. I really couldn't be happier. If anyone is thinking about using Raptor Liner, do it. It's so easy to apply, and for a total cost of $120 including the gun, you can't beat the price. I still have one bottle left over out of the 4 it came with.

    Built myself a handy dandy little dolly tonight to be able to get the shell onto a flatbed and also so the painter can move the car around the shop. Nothing more than a couple of 4x4's and some heavy duty castors. Should be good to hold over 1600 lbs.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Shot the interior with some chassis paint. Will be topcoating it with Raptor liner.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Raptor liner top coat.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
Return to update list...