0,28, or 50oz?

oosmytoo

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Portland - Oregon
hey, i have a dss pro bullet 306/308 shortblock, that im putting together, and im kinda confused on weather or not i have to replace the balancer and flywheel? can one of you explain which balancer or flywheel i might need? (0,28, or 50oz) sorry i dont know to much about this stuff

• Sponsors (?)

You need to find out what it was balanced to. More than likely, it was 50oz. If its 28, you'll need a new fly and balancer. I'd do a new balancer regardless if I just spent all that money on a new motor. Bad balancers in sn95's seems to be a common thing.

Yeah just find out what they balanced it to. When I built mine I kept it stock 50oz..if it's balanced to 28 or 0 than heck thats even better.
Def get a balacer, my FMS one has interchangable weights for 50/28 and even 0 I think (not sure about 0)
Good Luck!
Chris

I'm the king!!

crankpicssplit.jpg

Still need a balancer, just not one with a counter weight. 0 balance is over kill IMO for a 6000 rpm street car. 28oz is a better compromise, but I honestly havent looked into it too much. The guy i'm planning on having do my motor says 28oz is fine for what I wanna do.

thanks for all your replys! so ill go ahead and figure out what my block was balanced at? well from what ive learned from this thread is a stock balancer is 50oz, so unless they shaved some weight somewhere i will need a 28oz or a 0oz. so does this mean that when i buy a new flywheel i just match it to whatever balancer i need?

If the rotating assembly was setup for a 50oz, then you will be fine with the stock flywheel and driveshaft.

But if it's setup for a 28oz, then you will need to "rebalance" the flywheel and driveshaft. Or get ones that are internally balanced, and it won't matter. You will also need a a 28oz balancer.

A 0 means the pistons & rods all weigh the exact same, and the crank is internally balanced. I doubt you have that setup, but find out for sure.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
If the rotating assembly was setup for a 50oz, then you will be fine with the stock flywheel and driveshaft.

But if it's setup for a 28oz, then you will need to "rebalance" the flywheel and driveshaft. Or get ones that are internally balanced, and it won't matter. You will also need a a 28oz balancer.

A 0 means the pistons & rods all weigh the exact same, and the crank is internally balanced. I doubt you have that setup, but find out for sure.
Scott
kool! thanks alot for your help guys, i think ive finally got this figured out! lol thanks again!