0-60 times are not good, is it me or my car?

I got my Diablo Predator programmer today and it made the car feel different, however since I was out testing the tune I thought I'd do a few 0-60 times and they were not good.

I need some advice from the pro racers in here :). You be the judge whether it may be me or the car. I have no problem driving stick, so I doubt that's the problem, but it could be the rpms I'm shifting at? Well, I could not seem to get the car below 7 seconds (it's stock, but still).

First I tried with the traction control on starting around 2000 rpm's and no luck. Then I tried w/o the traction control at approx. 1500 rpm's and another one at 3000 rpm's (the tires just spun at 3000 rpm's). I shifted gear every time at around 4000 rpm's without doing powershifts and just kept getting bad times. It was a fairly hot day (approx. 95 degrees) btw.

What I am doing wrong here? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Practice launching. You want to give the tires enough power to be on the verge of losing traction. Slip the clutch, don't dump it. Don't run with a full tank of gas. Try to get your runs in on a cooler day and last and most importantly, shift at 5500 RPM!

Hope that helps you out,
Matt

Red35th said:
What are you using to measure your times with?

No 99-up GT runs a 7.0 0-60 time.

If you are using a G-Tech then that is your problem.

are you saying no 99+ cant do a 7.0 or better? or are you saying that that is a bad time? please explain that one

i would say you should shift alot higher

Red35th said:
I am saying that any 99-up GT that clicks off a 7.0 0-60 must have dropped a cylinder.

That is in V-6 territory.

I should have made my statement more clear but that is way to slow for a GT.

thanks for clearing that one up :nice: cause i agree

Thank for the tips. I forgot to mention that I live at a fairly high altitude (1 mile/Denver), so that affects it a bit but I don't believe it justifies those times though.

I ran with a full tank yesterday and it sounds like my launches needs practice, so I am going to try that out today as well as shifting at higher rpm's.

I measured the times using a good old stop watch. I just let it run the seconds and hit the gas at a round number and looked again at 60. I know it is not the most accurate way of measuring, but then again, it doesn't take me 1-2 seconds to look from the road to the watch.

Anyway, I am glad I got some tips. I am going to try them out today and see if I can improve. If not, then the 3.73 gears coming as well as the underdrive pullies and hopefully the stage cams will help :).

serviator said:
Anyway, I am glad I got some tips. I am going to try them out today and see if I can improve. If not, then the 3.73 gears coming as well as the underdrive pullies and hopefully the stage cams will help :).

First off someone said it right 0-60 times are only used to sell cars, secondly you need a Gtech to get a more accurate time, what year/model of mustang do you have? You need to shift it right on redline IMO. Last thing more power is not the resolution to your problem your driving is what needs improvement (slip out the cluch and ease into the throttle do not just stomp on it)you need to be able to run atleast 2.2- 2.0 60 footers in stock trim (stock tires and all) before you start modding the car that way ull always get the best out of every mod. If all else fails sticky tires are always an option.

serviator said:
Thank for the tips. I forgot to mention that I live at a fairly high altitude (1 mile/Denver), so that affects it a bit but I don't believe it justifies those times though.
I ran some back-of-the-envelope calculations based on your actual track conditions of 95 degF and 5250 ft elevation. Correcting to sea level and 68 degF would cut a calculated 0.82 sec from your 0-60 mph time, taking you to about 6.2 sec. But you still have a 6.2 sec - 5.5 = 0.7 sec gap to published values.

As others suggested, practice your launching and shift points. Of course, the stopwatch measurement has uncertainty, but try to start it just as the car moves and stop it just as the needle hits sixty. People's reaction times make this even more tricky.

I live in colorado as well and my car gets up and goes very quick, I'd say 5 seconds? But thats with the same meathod as you except some one else watching the clock. I dont have many mods, but the difference between here and Texas is not that noticable at least not to me.

serviator said:

I ran with a full tank yesterday and it sounds like my launches needs practice, so I am going to try that out today as well as shifting at higher rpm's.

I measured the times using a good old stop watch. I just let it run the seconds and hit the gas at a round number and looked again at 60. I know it is not the most accurate way of measuring, but then again, it doesn't take me 1-2 seconds to look from the road to the watch.

Dude that stop watch timing thing isnt working. Do u know how fast a .1 pass by, the time it takes u to look at your watch at 60 could take .2-.4 alone. So on a more accurate note u r probably running a 6.5 or so right now. The G-tech isnt the most accurate, but its gotta be better than the stop watch. If you re drvg a 5-speed, I know for a fact u should be running at least a 14.0, just gotta keep working on the launching. Thats 1 thing I like about my car at the track, just stomp and go. Manuals are fun and can be consistent, but autos are consistent and can be fun. Ha Ha Ha :banana:

ModularMike281, I appreciate your description of the technique I have to use. I'll try the tips out and see if I get the perfect launch, because I am sure I need to learn something.

3.8L_of_Pain, it was great that you did that calculation, which explains part of why I feel so slow (the other part probably being my launches). Though "myponyrocks" you don't feel the difference, you probably have more mods than me? (I only have the Diablo Predator Programmer and K&N filter)

big T, you are right about the inaccuracy. I may bring a light person in my car, so they can check my time and again - practice the launches.