00 wont start plz help

edstang

Nov 28, 2008
I was driving my 2000 GT conv the other night and it started to run rough. I pulled over and it then died. I gave it a couple of minuets then tried starting it and it ran rough for 5 seconds and died again. Wouldnt start after that.... I checked fuses and safety switch in the back. I then checked the test valve on fuel rail and pressurized air came out. Cranked the engine again then nothing at all from fuel rail. I then had the car towed home :( I droped the fuel tank and jumped my fuel pump and it pump but got nothing without jumping power to it. I borrowed a scan tool from work but couldnt pull any codes from it. Two days before the car died I had a audio system installed. Not sure if that might have something to do with it. Now I am stuck... : / The basics I know from my troubleshooting are fuel pump is good.. power is getting to fuse, power coming out of safety switch, no fuel pressure at fuel rail, and fuel pump is not getting any power..

Also - I just installed gauges (2) and wired them through the park light switch, not sure if that was a no no or not. The car ran fine for a few hours after I installed them.

• Sponsors (?)

First, by running rough do you mean a fuel related miss or was it cutting out...like the engine shutting off and on?

Are you sure there isn't power to the fuel pump? Can you hear it cycle when you turn to ignition to the "on" position?

The fuel pump runs through the fuel pump fuse but also the PCM. My guess is if it will turn over it isn't the PCM fuse. Also there is a relay in the CCRM (Consatnt Control Relay Module) located inside the right fenderwell. I could have gone bad but it is rare.

You could have shorted something while either the stereo was installed or the gauges. The thing about that is you should have blown a fuse. Check the PCM fuse and fuel pump fuse again. The box is located uner the hood on the left side.

Thank you for the response :)

The rough running was a lack of fuel rough running.

Fuel pump power - Test light to fuel pump power wire gets nothing. Also I had a friend put it in the on position while i had the fuel sending unit in hand and nothing. Then had him crank it and still nothing. While using test light I had a good ground I triple checked it :)

Fuses - The first fuses I checked were fuel pump/pcm.. After seeing they were good I went through all the fuses (under hood and under dash.) Also looked in all the empty slots to make sure one didnt just fall out for some strange reason. I know I mught have been taking the checking fuse thing a bit far but I had no other ideas.

CCRM - After searching through many threads I ran across this a couple of times from people with similar problems. How do I check it. My geuss would be checking the wire the comes out to power pump. (if so what color wire?)

A couple of things to add to my last post.

CCRM - Including with the color of wire coming out to give fuel pump power, is there one I should check going into it. I already checked the red wire (a bit thicker than the rest) and i was getting power there.

FPDM - I also came across somebody mentioning this in a response to somebody else problem. Could this be a concern of mine as well? If so where is it located and how would I go about checking it? (basic power going in and coming out?)

Yes your fpdm is in trunk next to left speaker .that is the last piece before pump .Bn/pk ir pump pos and RD/BK is neg. Pin 9 DG/yellow is from relay in ccmr. And fuse for that is battery junction box f 14 20amp

Was looking close at wire diagram i c 3 grounds. You shut of switch is powered from relay than goes to fpdm .pin 2 is black and it splices with the black from fp.when you jumped your pump did you use rd/bk and bn/pk .im not a guru but the black says shield and looks like it comes off harness for fp. That and pin 2 bk splice together

see a pro

if you jump out the trunk shut off & still no good they probably messed up a wire from the ignition switch ..... I would go back to the shop & tell of what happened , if not get a person with the big machine to look for the trouble as sometimes a code will not show up ...... pay the money most times its like $65 - $75 an hour .......if you get a guy who is good he will find it I had a strange problem no one could fix , was referred to a guy 2 hrs later bad computer , it happens , we tried everything , he gave me a print out ordered a computer a few hundred dollars but I was up & running with a warranty , I would have never found it ...... it has high milage ...... sometimes you have to pay ................ good luck