01 Cobra burning oil???.......

ok guys, i just bought this car a couple months ago. well, i changed the oil shortly after i got it. 6 quarts of mobil one. when i checked the dip stick, it was right in the middle of min and max. well 2300 miles later i checked it and it was bearly above min. i have been getting on it just a tad lately :hail2: . i read the owners manuel and it says that if it is between min and max, "don't add oil". so i have not added any yet. should i add a little?? this is my first DOHC. do they normally burn a little oil or is something wrong?? it doesnt have many miles. thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard of some of the dohc motors burning oil.Mine does not use any but my friends 99 uses about half a quart btween oil changes.His car only has 17000 miles on it and he babies it every time he drives it.He took his to the dealer when it was under warrenty and they told him that a small amount of oil burnage is normal. :shrug:

Yeah, there's not much you can really do about it unless you want to tear into the engine. As long as it isn't "excessive" consumption (ie - more than 1 quart per 3000 miles), the best thing to do is to just keep a close eye on the oil level on a regular basis. You do not want to run the risk of running low, as some owners have found out the hard way. Also, make sure you are checking the oil when the engine is "cold," like in the morning or after the car has sat for a few hours. This will allow you to get an accurate oil level reading from the dipstick.

:cheers:

thanks for the help everybody. i thought i was running it too hard... so, should i add oil with it just bearly above min???? the owners manuel says if it is between min and max, "do not add oil". it seems to me, i should just add a little atleast???

four.six said:
thanks for the help everybody. i thought i was running it too hard... so, should i add oil with it just bearly above min???? the owners manuel says if it is between min and max, "do not add oil". it seems to me, i should just add a little atleast???

Of course, go ahead and add about a quarter to maybe half a quart of oil and see where the oil level is at after you give the oil sufficient time to drain back down into the pan. It should be closer to the "max" indicator on the dipstick after you add a little amount, but be careful not to overfill (too much).

COBRA90GT said:
Of course, go ahead and add about a quarter to maybe half a quart of oil and see where the oil level is at after you give the oil sufficient time to drain back down into the pan. It should be closer to the "max" indicator on the dipstick after you add a little amount, but be careful not to overfill (too much).

will do, thanks again mustang crew!!!

I know this is about DOHC motors burning oil, but i just wondered about the oil level in my car, it's over full everytime i check it. I've had my oil changed a couple times since i've gotten it and everytime it's over full. Is that normal?.. i've got an '02 gt, btw.. :shrug:

jasonh_86 said:
I know this is about DOHC motors burning oil, but i just wondered about the oil level in my car, it's over full everytime i check it. I've had my oil changed a couple times since i've gotten it and everytime it's over full. Is that normal?.. i've got an '02 gt, btw.. :shrug:

no its not normal.. u are only putting 5 quarts right?? that is not good for your car man. i would not take it anywhere to change the oil. you cant trust people to do a good job now a days. just do it yourself, it only takes a few minutes and u can save money that way.

glad i found this thread. today i changed the oil in the 4V for the second time since i put the engine in. noticed it was about a 1qt. low after i drained it. i don't have signs of leaking and never had oil on the ground where it is parked. glad to hear this is "normal" for 4V's. :p

SUPPOSEDLY, the higher RPM range of the dohc makes it more prone to that. It sucks the oil out of the PCV system (blowby) and burns it. This one guy was turning up to 6800 RPMs (2V I think) on an auto cross...he would use 1 quart of oil every 30mins. These cars have a lot of it.

99darkgreenGT said:
glad i found this thread. today i changed the oil in the 4V for the second time since i put the engine in. noticed it was about a 1qt. low after i drained it. i don't have signs of leaking and never had oil on the ground where it is parked. glad to hear this is "normal" for 4V's. :p

"$19.95 a Month for Internet access, $799.00 for Computer, Dissing a SN Admin to get a CT, Priceless!" what does CT mean??