01 cobra fuel rails working on a 96 cobra motor

nicobra5o

Founding Member
Sep 17, 2001
MA
is there anyone that has done this or made it work, putting the 01 fuel rails on a 96-98 cobra motor, becuase my buddy has a 01 cobra with a procharger d-1 on it, it was making about 470 to the wheels, but the motor popped, actually put a hole in the block, anyway he found a brand new still in the crate 96 motor, we did the swap last night but ran into problems swapping out the fuel rails, because the 01's have the returnless style, so he has to use his fuel rails, not the return style on the 96-98 motors. just wondering if anyone else has done this or ran into this problem.

thanks, nick

• Sponsors (?)

I have never tried to make 01 rails work on 96-98. I do run my 96 rails on a 99 intake manifold. To make them work I had to have the mounting brackets cut off then welded into a different position. I would suggest trying to do this. What is the guy going to do with IMRCs? A 99+ PCM would have no way of opening and closing the plates, only way around that would be deleting them.

yeah thats what i think we are going to do, just cut the brackets and reweld them so they will mount up the the correct mounting holes. as for the IMRC's we just unscrewed the two screws in each one and took them out, and took out the electronics and cables for them, the less the better.