01 Cobra Rear Gear change, Tools needed?

sam woodson

Feb 21, 2007
Looking at switching out the rear gears in my 01 Cobra (IRS)

Does this still use the same Ring and Pinon as the Fox chassis with the solid axle? Someone mentioned bearings as well?

Is there a decent priced shop locally to get parts? I could get the ring/pinon from JEGS at a good price, but if we get in there and we need other parts I don't want to wait days for the parts to show up.

It was mentioned some "shims" maybe needed? Where would I get them? Any other special tools needed?

I am looking at taking it on the Arsenal and I have a mechanic that will assist, he normally works on European cars though so I'm trying to find out what will be needed.

If you have a PDF or something of the installation instructions, that would be great too.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sam

• Sponsors (?)

'01 Cobra is IRS. Not really the same.

The ring gears are the same, but the install is different from the Solid axle cars. You can remove the entire pumkin yourself and then take it to a mechanic to install the gears. My friends with 99+ cobras have routinly pulled their punkins on their own and dropped them off for a gear install.

'01 Cobra is IRS. Not really the same.

The ring gears are the same, but the install is different from the Solid axle cars. You can remove the entire pumkin yourself and then take it to a mechanic to install the gears. My friends with 99+ cobras have routinly pulled their punkins on their own and dropped them off for a gear install.

This is the way it SHOULD be. The old Ford rear ends were all like this. 8" and 9" rears have a removable 3rd member and no dumbass c-clips.

The 8.8" rear end uses the stupid f**ing Chevy setup where the carrier is part of the housing. JUST STUPID.

Altho, I'll say that after the accident I just had, c-clips no longer scare me, my axle housing and axle bent and the c-clips still didn't brake..... I still think its a dumb idea. 8"/9" rear ends are FAR easier to service.

Don't try to do it yourself, have a pro setup the 3rd member then slap it back in yourself.