01 engine problem

01-COBRA

Apr 26, 2004
I have a 01 cobra vert with NO MODS that started to make a ticking or tapping noise, I first thought it was an exhaust leak, but lifted the hood and it sounded like it was coming from the top of the motor. The noise was faint at idle, but would really get loud around 2000-2500 RPM. I had it towed to a local guy to look at it, he cut the oil filter and found some metal shavings in the mesh (I saw it and it didn't look like a lot). I then had it towed to Ford and all they have told me is that I need a new engine. Never told me what they did to come up with that solution. Problem is the car has around 39800 mi. and the warranty is over. Has anyone encountered a situation like this? Does this engine have these sort of problems? Can I get Ford to help with the costs?
I've had 5 stangs, treated them all the same and never any problems until this! Very sickening. :(
Please help. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, they must show you the failed/worn parts. That's the law. Secondly, have you had a good portion of your maintainance done at this dealer? Did you buy your cars from this dealer? If so, don't be afraid to ask for some help. You're only out of the basic warranty by an oil change, and many dealers have the latitude to extend good customers a "one time good will" repair when they are that close in mileage. If not, you probably won't get any help, but they still must reveal their findings to you.

Good Luck! And keep us posted.

Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE IT TO FORD!!!! They are just trying to take your money. If it is your motor you can get a stock short block cheap. If you have the money get a 03 04 short block. Try karkraft.com look at the prices there.

Take the car to a local shop, someone that you know and trust. Take it to a few places hear them out and then post what they said on stangnet. We'll tell you if its bs or not.