01 gt AUTO, drag radials and 60ft

MaxedGT

Mar 31, 2005
Surrey BC Canada
I'm planning on getting some BFG drag radials for my 01 GT with an auto. I know with a high stall torque convertor, guys are getting good ET's and 60 ft's. I'm wondering what I can expect with the stock torque convertor. My best 60 ft is 2.020 so far on streets with a 13.773 ET. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

:hail2:
MaxedGT said:
I'm planning on getting some BFG drag radials for my 01 GT with an auto. I know with a high stall torque convertor, guys are getting good ET's and 60 ft's. I'm wondering what I can expect with the stock torque convertor. My best 60 ft is 2.020 so far on streets with a 13.773 ET. :shrug:
Honestly, u are doing pretty good now. With a 3000 stall, ud b hovering around the 13.1-.3 range in the 1/4. :banana:

Mustangl3 said:
Will a converter really drop your et 5-6 tenths?
Most drop around .3-.4 tenths. Supercharged cars and serious drag cars usually see .5+ off their 1/4 mile times. Not saying a lightly modified car can't reduce their 1/4 mile time by .5 tenths, however, its not something that happens all the time. Its basically going to depend on what else is done to the car and how high of a stall you get.

If ANY of you are thinking of getting a aftermarket torque converter, I will let you know now that anything shy of a 3,000 stall is a waste in my honest opinion. That is what I have now and I feel there is still room for plenty more stall. I'm letting you know this now so if you decide to sink the 700+ into a torque converter, you get the job done right the first time.

One last note. EVER automatic Mustang NEEDS an aftermarket transmission cooler. It is a MUST HAVE modification. Heat is the number 1 killer of automatic transmissions and these 4r70w automatics run hot stock. With aftermarket mods, like gears and a torque converter, they run even hotter.

13.1s? LOL, dont count on it. Its not like he will pull 1.70 60's :rlaugh: . If he had a trans brake then he could prolly do 13.1s. Otherwise it would take some SERIOUS 60's to do that. It takes the 5spds a pretty high launch on slicks to do that. Stall will help with the takeoff...other than that it wont do anything as it will be above its stall speed the rest of the run. Stall converters are designed so you can stall the car up and get your engine into its powerband and keep it there durring a launch...it wont let the motor bog down below its stall speed (3K usually) and that keeps plenty of power pumping. Now that info is providing that its a lockup...I dont know if the stock one is full lockup or not either....but that is general rule of thumb.

I figured I would be able to hit 13.3, maybe better with drag radials and a 3200 stall torque converter. What I was wondering is what I might run with drag radials, before the high stall torque convertor.
I've know a guy with a 99 gt manual, that ran 13.6 on streets and hit 12.9~ with MT streets. I know I won't see that kind of an improvement even with a high stall torque convertor.

Mustangl3 said:
go for the new mickey tompson et streets, i;ve been told they hook just about as good as slicks. Will a converter really drop your et 5-6 tenths?
Your hitting 104 mph with just those mods? WOW. I'm lucky to hit 100. Off road x-pipe the differance? Or is there something you're not telling us? I want to go 104mph!

MaxedGT said:
Your hitting 104 mph with just those mods? WOW. I'm lucky to hit 100. Off road x-pipe the differance? Or is there something you're not telling us? I want to go 104mph!

You re getting nice times MaxedGT.

My best is about the same as your but i m running over 102MPH. Cant get the car to hook :nonono:

Just got myself another pair of 17 inch and planning to get some DR. Just a bit afraid of messing the rearend.

Dark Night is right, he convinced me to get a cooler last year.

Have fun guys :nice:

speed545 said:
You re getting nice times MaxedGT.

My best is about the same as your but i m running over 102MPH. Cant get the car to hook :nonono:

Just got myself another pair of 17 inch and planning to get some DR. Just a bit afraid of messing the rearend.

Dark Night is right, he convinced me to get a cooler last year.

Have fun guys :nice:
Cooler sounds like good advice. Let me know how the drag radials work out. :nice:
I'm actually pretty thrilled with my results so far concidering how little I've done. But going faster will be even better. :D

MaxedGT said:
Cooler sounds like good advice. Let me know how the drag radials work out. :nice:
I'm actually pretty thrilled with my results so far concidering how little I've done. But going faster will be even better. :D
If it means anything, RacerGT(Jason) went 13.039 I think it was with just bolt-on mods on a automatic GT. He has a high stall converter with 4.10 gears.

MaxedGT said:

Well the only things i didnt mention was that i took my passenger side headlight out and my spare/jack/tire iron. I had 1/2 a tank of gas tho. Next time i go to the track im gonna take off my front sway bar, passenger seat, and try to have like an 1/8 tank of gas or less. The thing thats helping my mph is the quicker shifts i get because i turned the shift firmness up all the way with the predator and the h-pipe, but i dont have a ported plenum, pullies, or plenum spacer.

hotmustang331 said:
13.1s? LOL, dont count on it. Its not like he will pull 1.70 60's :rlaugh: . If he had a trans brake then he could prolly do 13.1s. Otherwise it would take some SERIOUS 60's to do that. It takes the 5spds a pretty high launch on slicks to do that. Stall will help with the takeoff...other than that it wont do anything as it will be above its stall speed the rest of the run. Stall converters are designed so you can stall the car up and get your engine into its powerband and keep it there durring a launch...it wont let the motor bog down below its stall speed (3K usually) and that keeps plenty of power pumping. Now that info is providing that its a lockup...I dont know if the stock one is full lockup or not either....but that is general rule of thumb.
I dont have a trans brake and ran a best of 13.15/102.7. My 60" was 1.8 as well. I run nitto dr's set at 20psi and it works for me. I say at least a 2800-3200 stall will do it for him...low 13's that is.

Ive got the Drag radials. But now the seasons over hear. Never got to try them. Oh well next year. I'm parking the car for the winter then installing a high stall torque convertor, cooler of course, J-mod, and an off road x-pipe, if I can find one that fits the auto. Wish me luck! :nice:

From posts I've read, it seams a little sluggish from a stop at light throttle. But not much of a differance. I don't know about you, but I'm in 3rd or 4th lockup pretty quick anyways so I doubt its much differant under normal driving.But I bet if you put your foot into it a bit, it'll really wake up quick, getting into the power band real quick.

Had a 3000 stall on my old 99 vert 4r70w it seemed like it took just smiggin more rpms to get things moving driving around town stop and go. Mile to gallon went down a little too, maybe 1 or 2 mpg but who buys a mustang cause they want great fuel economy... freeway driving not that much diff.