01 gt AUTO, drag radials and 60ft

chinostang said:
Had a 3000 stall on my old 99 vert 4r70w it seemed like it took just smiggin more rpms to get things moving driving around town stop and go. Mile to gallon went down a little too, maybe 1 or 2 mpg but who buys a mustang cause they want great fuel economy... freeway driving not that much diff.
Usefull info. Thanks.
I noticed in your sig:Auto (Wife)
I bought an auto so my wife could drive it too. :bang: She took it out for a spin once. She's afraid of it. LOL :doh:

• Sponsors (?)

MaxedGT said:
I'm planning on getting some BFG drag radials for my 01 GT with an auto. I know with a high stall torque convertor, guys are getting good ET's and 60 ft's. I'm wondering what I can expect with the stock torque convertor. My best 60 ft is 2.020 so far on streets with a 13.773 ET. :shrug:

your already runnign some good times :) i would expect even with the stock stall you would cut your 60's down too the 1.9 range..

Dark Knight GT said:
Most drop around .3-.4 tenths. Supercharged cars and serious drag cars usually see .5+ off their 1/4 mile times. Not saying a lightly modified car can't reduce their 1/4 mile time by .5 tenths, however, its not something that happens all the time. Its basically going to depend on what else is done to the car and how high of a stall you get.

If ANY of you are thinking of getting a aftermarket torque converter, I will let you know now that anything shy of a 3,000 stall is a waste in my honest opinion. That is what I have now and I feel there is still room for plenty more stall. I'm letting you know this now so if you decide to sink the 700+ into a torque converter, you get the job done right the first time.

One last note. EVER automatic Mustang NEEDS an aftermarket transmission cooler. It is a MUST HAVE modification. Heat is the number 1 killer of automatic transmissions and these 4r70w automatics run hot stock. With aftermarket mods, like gears and a torque converter, they run even hotter.
Im not starting an argument, but with tires u will easy see .5-.7 drop in et's. Ive lowered my times .5 with a converter/dr's and still had some spin off the line. U dont need a trans brake, though it would be helpful, all u need is a decent track and good tires and u WILL see more than a .3-.4 reduction in 1/4 et's. Think about a stopwatch and try stopping it at .3-.4, it goes by quite fast. My car feels like way more than 30-40rwtrq (.3-.4 equates to...roughly) and I only have xpipe/cat back as hspwr mods, 4:10's/tqcnvtr are basically "off the line" mods. :shrug:

Well the seasons just ended and already I can't wait for spring! Thanks for all the input guys. :nice:
PS. I'm already getting depressed cause I'm parking the stang on wednesday.
I don't know how I'll make through the winter! LOL. :(