01 gt diablo tuner monitoring

greenlantern77

Aug 9, 2007
tuner should be arriving today and ive heard 2 extremes. 1 case where people get ping with the unmodified tune, the other is people have maxed out the timing adjustment as advanced as the diablo will do and get no ping.

In either case, it looks like you can monitor some things related to ping in the predators diagnostics. I think that total timing and KR, are 2 things that you can monitor but am not sure if there are any others. Also i have no idea what any of these should have for values or how to adjust timing if they are high or if they are low.

It seems that if you have ping, you have to retard timing and/or add fuel. And if you want to add power, you can take fuel away or increase timing to burn up that fuel but you want to stay well below pinging.

Im basically looking to close this loop with the diagnostics tuel of the tuner and need some feed back on what parameters to monitor and what there values should be.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Welp, i'm just giving you my experience, thats all.
If you use the correct octane for the tune they burnt you and your car still pings then I have no choice but to say Diablos sucks ass big time, and that you should buy an SCT because i've never heard any problems like that from them.

I don't about all this monitoring stuff.. you can change stuff, like timing, idle, and disable stuff such as rear 02s and traction control, but no magic light goes bonkers or something when you start to ping.

What i would do..just me. I'd get the tune, i'd bump timing a degree or 2, and i'd drive it up a hill, with the AC on, with a lot of load on the engine, and listen for ping when climbing the hill at part throttle and full throttle and pay very close attention for pinging.

I'm running the out of the box tune on mine as I don't really think it's worth it to screw with the TINY changes that Diablo allows the end user. At the other end of the rainbow would be large adjustments, but you wouldn't want to do that without proper AFR monitoring. I'll get on a dyno soon and let the tuner have at it for a REAL tune.

Alot depends on WHO does the tune in the first place, and what kind of shape your car is in. Each car is different, some can withstand alot of timing advance and not ping, some ping with the canned tune that comes w/ the Diablosport.

As far as what can be monitered you can check a bunch of stuff. You can see what your timing is while driving, moniter for mis-fires, check TPS voltage, IAT's... so on.

i hadnt heard that before:
"
drive it up a hill, with the AC on, with a lot of load on the engine, and listen for ping when climbing the hill at part throttle and full throttle and pay very close attention for pinging."

thanks for the input