01 GT - Hate the seats & exhaust sound

offdwall

Apr 2, 2004
Giving up my bike after being hit AGAIN! Being VERY familar with 64-66 Stangs, I bought an 01 GT, (owned by a girl, with 20k miles) to play with. First off, the seats really suck, they only go halfway up my back! Does anyone know of a good comfortable seat replacement? I am not looking for race seats, that's after my next surgery, just something with real support and comfort for a 6'03" guy.

I know almost all about my toys but I am way behind on these newer GT's. It appears to be pretty nice but the suspension is lacking. I have buried myself in Mustang magazines, trying to absord what I can. I would like to improve the suspension without roughing it up too much. I was just thinking of going with coilovers for now. After that, I was thinking of the Flowmaster CatBack, because I want a nice sound. Next is the C&L Plenum, a 75mm throttlebody, and a K&N filter, hoping to get up to 275 hp. I would be happy with any comments on the above. I hope to supercharge it next year so I don't want to sink too much into it, just something that sounds good, and is fun.

Thanks for your help! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

a plenum/tb combo and a filter wont get you up to 275rwhp if thats what you are wondering. get some long tube headers if you can, and a new midpipe also, and you will get a bit closer. the cars dyno at 220-235 at the wheels, so it comes out to about 260 at the crank.

I was told that the car was 260hp stock, I didn't know they were referring to the crank. Well, I guess I might have to dig down a little further. Thanks for your help.

offdwall said:
It appears to be pretty nice but the suspension is lacking. I have buried myself in Mustang magazines, trying to absord what I can. I would like to improve the suspension without roughing it up too much.

i have the Bullit suspension from www.GEFracing.com. it's much better than stock in every way. it's not too expensive either. better handling and ride without hurting the kidneys.

offdwall said:
After that, I was thinking of the Flowmaster CatBack, because I want a nice sound.

beware with the Flowmasters, they are notorious for having drone. i suggest listening to them on a 4.6L before purchasing them. also, a mid pipe will help out in the sound department.

offdwall said:
Next is the C&L Plenum, a 75mm throttlebody, and a K&N filter, hoping to get up to 275 hp.

your car already has about 275hp at the crank. the 01+'s are underrated a bit. check this site out for info on the plenum and t/b. http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=38

offdwall said:
Giving up my bike after being hit AGAIN! Being VERY familar with 64-66 Stangs, I bought an 01 GT, (owned by a girl, with 20k miles) to play with. First off, the seats really suck, they only go halfway up my back! Does anyone know of a good comfortable seat replacement? I am not looking for race seats, that's after my next surgery, just something with real support and comfort for a 6'03" guy.

I know almost all about my toys but I am way behind on these newer GT's. It appears to be pretty nice but the suspension is lacking. I have buried myself in Mustang magazines, trying to absord what I can. I would like to improve the suspension without roughing it up too much. I was just thinking of going with coilovers for now. After that, I was thinking of the Flowmaster CatBack, because I want a nice sound. Next is the C&L Plenum, a 75mm throttlebody, and a K&N filter, hoping to get up to 275 hp. I would be happy with any comments on the above. I hope to supercharge it next year so I don't want to sink too much into it, just something that sounds good, and is fun.

Thanks for your help! :flag:
Corbeau, Sparco, and Recaro have nice seats.. (sparco and recaro have higher quality cloth that will last much longer).. You can look on ebay for some other racing seats

Plenum and 75mm t/b and K&N replacement filter is ALL you need to do to the intake side of the motor (don't fall for teh CAI stuff even though it looks cool)
Suspension look at Steeda Sport Springs (1.25" drop and you don't have to buy Caster/Camber plates for alignment which can run 210 bucks for a nice set).. Struts and shocks go with Tokico 5-way Adjustables or Bilstein
Exhaust power comes from the midpipe (Magnaflow X w/ cats is great and has the fewest complaints on this forum.. also stainless steel) Catback is a sound preference.. i like the Flowmaster sound but wish the catback was stainless, so i just welded in mufflers into the stock stainless catback (you may want full catback if you supercharge)

-wade

Yep, I too think the seats suck - I heard the Mach 1 seats are better, but I've never sat in 'em and I'm sure you'd pay an arm and a leg for them - plus there are many good aftermarket choices available. The plenum and TB will help wake it up, as well as a C&L MAF, but gears, while offering no increase in power, will give you the most bang for the buck. 3.73s are a great street gear. I love the sound of Flowmasters...I never liked the sound of Magnaflows, but to each his own. Ck out sound clips on www.mustangexhaust.com . Registration is required, but it is free and quick. Throw a short throw shifter (Pro 5.0 for us tall dudes is perfect) and you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

My main problem with the seats is exactly with an above poster said. The things only go half way up your back! Sure the Cobra and Mach seats are better, but still pretty crap ass. Try sitting in a real racing seat (I hate to say it, but try sitting in an SRT-4, they have wonderful seats.)

I would go aftermarket.

Where did all the short drivers come from. I will agree the seat backs suck, the lateral support sucks and being 6'6" it's hard to shift and turn to the left at the same time. I could really use another 2 inches of leg room along with fixing the other problems.
I'd like a set of aftermarket seats but I also like the adjustments you can make with the power seats.