01 GT Rear Seat Delete

Bugman.dave

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I have finally finished installing my rear seat delete. I made it using aluminum sheeting and have carpeting attached with dome fasteners,....it follows the contour of the rear upholstery. It's attached using Dzus fasteners, so it's easily removeable for more storage.

I'm hoping that when I get my 8 point roll cage installed it won't be too hard to access this area,....
Im002496_600.jpg
Im002495_600.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Is that 2 different cars or did you make 2 different rear pieces? Also, does the top part of the back piece rest all the way under the rear head rests or does it stop right below them or flush with them? Looks good anyways.

Also where did you get all the materials for it? The aluminum sheeting, dome fasteners, Dzus fasteners, and carpeting. Can you explain a little more how the fabric is held on? Is it all held down on the trunk side or the front side?

Both pictures are of the same car. The top part of the backrest fits flush with the headrest, but with minor tweeking you can fit it any way you'd like. The aluminum can be obtained at just about any sheet metal sales location, the other parts such as dome fasteners can probably be located at Home Depot or Lowes and the Dzus fasteners are hard core race parts that could be obltained at any speed shop I would think. To attach the carpeting you must attach one side of the dome fastener to the aluminum and the other side to the carpet,.....there is a special tool for doing that,...it's very cheap only $10 or so. The hard part was making the template and fitting the aluminum. I attatched the spring part of the Dzus fastener to 3/4" square stock aluminum tubing on the trunk side of the panel. The screw part of the Dzus fastener is attached to the panel itself. The carpeting is edged with material to finish it off. The base is made the same way. I used the same holes the bottom seat panel was attached to. I removed the stock hardware and attached the spring part of the Dzus fastener to the cross member. It took a while to get it right, but I think the result is very professional and fuctional. The bottom part of the seat back is bent to form a curve to conform to the bend in the upholstery. The top part is bent to form a bend and just about touches the headrest,.....Either way I think it looks good with or without the carpeting. The carpeting prevents the aluminum from getting scratched after it's painted.,....I could go on but I think you get the picture,.....any questions just let me know.