01 gt vs Lt1

imo this is a drivers race off the line. up top i think that the z will pull slightly. if you wanna spend your $500, buy some Drag Radials and race from a dig. (For exaple the Nitto DR). this should help you out, and give you an even better jump outta the hole. also you can use them whever you have another race planed, or if you ever go to the track. (however you might need another set of rims if you are going to be switching them on and off all the time) besides tires, i cant think of many mods for 500 that will give you hp. if you have a little more, you could go for a nitrous set up? a 100 shot or so will be enough to pull away or at the least hold him off.
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

He has two cars right? One with a LT1 and the other with a 396? I think people are confusing which car we are talking about here.

The LT4 KM and Ignition upgrade don't add HP the just make what it has more reliable. I know a load of LT1 guys around here that think there car is fast but then I drive it and can tell right away that the opti is going.

well i got my brother on my side he said he would help me with some go fast goodies for my ride after he came clean about his z and what it really has done i don't want to embarrass myself it a 12 sec z and he's says it will run 10's in about 3 months... but anyway he told me to get these items a new plenum and a 75mm tb, that should pretty much take out the 500 but it should add about 15hp and 20tq what do you guys think is he tell the truth and if he is what brand should i get of these items??

I have a little advice...dont take advice from your friend. He obviously has little experience with fords and more specifically the overhead cam mod motors.

Buying a plenum and 75 mm throttle body might net .5-1 hp a total and complete waste of money. If you HAVE to spend the money now i would consider putting some money into your suspension to get the power to the ground or put your money into some Drag radials for traction.

What i would do is put your $500 in the bank and continue to stash money. Save for a supercharger...these motors are made for forced induction.

kirkyg

LOL 8 rwhp...maybe on your way to heaven.

The only way you'll get more than 1 hp anywhere in the powerband with those mods is if you have either a supercharger or heads p&p with more aggressive cams.

The stock intake is setup perfectly for the engine you get with your car. There has been no consistant dynoing showing exhaust mods changing hp at all on a stock 4.6L SOHC engine.

kirkyg

hey i checked into your comment about no hp gain or very little on those mods check out the march edition of FF they did a tb and plenum swap on a stock 4.6 and gained 14 hp and 17tq with spending about $400 for the parts they say that the stock plenum is very restricitve..

396LT1 said:
hey i checked into your comment about no hp gain or very little on those mods check out the march edition of FF they did a tb and plenum swap on a stock 4.6 and gained 14 hp and 17tq with spending about $400 for the parts they say that the stock plenum is very restricitve..

I dont think that was peak hp. That would be a HUGE gain if that was peak power.

396LT1 said:

Yes and later it was determined that the timing was advanced quite a bit (dyno dune done at the same time) and there were like 2 other mods done all at the same time to make it look like there was a large gain in power when there really was only about 2 hp gain from the products being marketed.

kirkyg

BTW, if your increasing air flow by intake modifications your going to gain most of the power in the last 1500-2000 rpms of the powerband. So basically something isn't right if your showing alot of gains down low and nothing up top.

kirkyg

Former GM guy and Camaro owner here...if you can drive the Stang correctly with 4.10's and drag radials on an otherwise stock 4.6, you'll smoke any LT1 out there, regardless of mods, to 100-115 mph (unless it's got nitrous and/or a S/C). Seriously, it won't even be funny. Without a cam swap, he's getting no real advantage from his rocker upgrade and the rest of the stuff you've listed that he has may add 10-15 rwhp tops. As far as the statement you made about his car running in the 12's, I think he's exaggerating quite a bit. The only way you're going to get an LT1 into the 12's is with a S/C and/or head and cam swap.

Even if he does beat you by some miracle, just smile at him and tell him if he wants to impress you, he can change his spark plugs! :rlaugh: (I know the Camaro guys will get that one)

As far as your cash and mods go, consider a PRO 5.0 shifter. It doesn't add any HP obviously, but it makes a world of difference in the driver's ability to bang through the gears. The stock GT shifter is crap comparatively.

well actually he's not i saw his recent drag tapes and time slips 2 weeks ago he went to the track and ran 12.79's @ 108 he hasent put his heads or cam on yet because he is building a 383 to run right next to the 396 but he wants to do it at a cheaper price and with no nos.. when i said he runs 12's i meant it and i saw proof i also see the cam and heads sitting next to the motor so i know there not on.. it helps alot when you work at a performance shop and can see what really works and what doesnt..

and since what he told me wont work on my car to good what will as for more hp and tq im not going to start some suspension mods until i get at least 275 rwhp i hear these only put down 225 to the wheels stock but with my mods i think i have 230-240 the car only has 33,000 on the clock

I hear the throttle body + plenum will get you about 10 hp , if you have an engine thats mostly stock wait on the tb+plenum, they help more with modded engines. If you want to beat him spend your 500 on some nitrous just dont let it backfire or youll blow your plastic intake apart.

check out the july edition of mm+ff. They tested tb+plenum combos on a modded 4.6 with only lt headers, no other exhaust. The best combo gave them 17hp and 9 tq. Keep in mind this engine was producing 390hp prior to the swap. On an engine producing 260-280 the gain is not going to be as large.