Roush 01' S281 Mod Ideas?

Well, I just recently inherited a 2001 Saleen S281. Now the mods that I know it has done to it are just a Detroit Tru-Trac and 4.10 gears. It might have been tuned, it might not have. Anyway, I was wondering what your opinions were for some of the first mods to it. I want to keep it as Saleen as possible, I guess you would say.

Keep in mind though, my first car was a 65 Mustang Fastback and then a 71 Nova SS. So I've got the muscle car stuff down pat. I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to tuning something without a carburetor.

I'm also not sure what kind of suspension mods were done to the S281 models and what can be done to improve upon what was done.

Lastly ... anyone know where I can buy a shifter knob for that thing where its not going to run $180 like Ford quoted me? I checked through Saleen's site but they don't seem to carry anything unless its for the new models.

Thanks

R. La Curan

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at The Saleen Forums at soec.org ?

It's all pretty much Saleen owners and a few Saleen employees. Quite a few of them have modded their S281s extensively.

I'm in the same boat as you though, I got confirmation from Janice at Saleen that mine is one of two Rio Red supercharged coupes for '99. So, I don't want to add a lot to it.

As far as a shifter knob, I've got a fat knob on mine (Big Gear Shift Knobs for Ford Mustangs, Cobras, and Chevy Corvettes), I think they're about $30-40.

Have you looked at The Saleen Forums at soec.org ?

It's all pretty much Saleen owners and a few Saleen employees. Quite a few of them have modded their S281s extensively.

I'm in the same boat as you though, I got confirmation from Janice at Saleen that mine is one of two Rio Red supercharged coupes for '99. So, I don't want to add a lot to it.

As far as a shifter knob, I've got a fat knob on mine (Big Gear Shift Knobs for Ford Mustangs, Cobras, and Chevy Corvettes), I think they're about $30-40.

No, I wasn't aware of that forum. My brother helps run this site so he suggested I ask around on here first. I'll have to register over there and see what they have to say as well. Thanks for the site.

Now do you know where to find the original Momo shift knob?