'01 V6 Brakes and Oil-Sending Unit

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Dedmond, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Dedmond

Dedmond New Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with two problems.

1. My oil pressure gauge drops to zero intermittently. I figure it's the oil sender unit, based on the fact my engine hasn't blown up. I bought one, but I cant find where it is - on the car, the internet, or otherwise. Where is it on a 2001 V6? Pics would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. My stopping power has dropped off and I don't know why. My system is stock, and the brake fluid is still clear. You don't have to put excessive pressure to stop normally, but slamming on my brakes results in a not-that-hard-rolling stop. I don't have ABS and used to be able to lock up if I tried. Not anymore. I think it's getting to the point where it could be dangerous. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
  2. wmburns

wmburns SN Certified Technician

For the V6 oil pressure sender, from the picture, it looks like it is visible from top. The oil pressure sender is a simple on/off circuit. If greater than 6 PSI (yes it is that low), the sender is grounded. Otherwise, it is open.

Regarding your brake problem. Strongly suspect it is a bad Master Cylinder. The problem is called "blocking". It has to due with internal parts not releasing correctly which prevents a full return of the master cylinder bore.

Try this. Apply constant pedal pressure to the brakes while stopped. The pedal should bottom out and stay. If it continues to bleed down, replace your MC.

Based upon your symptoms, strong consideration should be given to replacment of your MC regardless.

OBTW, I had the exact thing happen to me. Didn't find out about until someone pulled out in front of me. What should have been an easy stop turned in a very scary near miss as I am pushing with all my might on a "blocked" pedal.