01 wiper issues Help Please!

hamiltonguitars

Sep 10, 2007
I'm gonna try this one again. I am in possesion of my son's 2001 GT while he's in the navy driving submarines around the oceans of the world. :flag:

The PO wired the wipers with a single toggle switch (12v to switch to wiper motor). I have checked out the multifunction wiper switch and is apparently okay.

Does the '01 use a wiper module or does it go through this nebulus thing called a generic electronic module. If it goes through the GEM where can I get more info on it P/N's wiring diagrams, anything I can diagnoss the problem with?

I keep doing searches and come up empty.

Thanks Rod

• Sponsors (?)

The GEM (Generic Electronics Module in Fordspeak) controls the coils of 3 relays, 1 each for on-off, high-low speed, and the washer pump motor. The multifunction switch provides inputs to the GEM over 3 wires.

PO may have wired a switch to bypass the factory controls because either the GEM, multifunction switch, or a relay was defective.

Thanks for the help!. I have found a manual that has decent wiring diagram showing the GEM relays and mutilfunction switch.
Where can I find Part numbers for the Relays and GEM if I need to replace them?

Whenever I need new (as opposd to used) factory parts, I sens a message to Randy Stinchcomb for a quote, either here or over at mustangboards.com. Randy is the parts manager at a Ford Dealer and sells OEM parts by mail order at a discount to forum participants. In addition, he is a walking encyclopedia whan it comes to ford part numbers.

For relays and GEM modules, I would first visit a wrecking yard. There are generally lots of wrecked Mustangs (I won't venture a guess why) with most of the electrical components intact. I picked up a spare GEM for my '03 GT for $10, complete with the entire fuse panel, fuses, relays, and circuit breakers.

Do you have an ohmmeter you can use to test the multifunction switch?

Thanks, I have an Ohm meter and I have already checked out the multfunction switch, it measures within spec. I guess I need to excercise the relays to see if they work. I'll check some of the local boneyards for the GEM. Do you know which years/cars use the same set up?
Do you have an email for Rand S.?

I want to have this car completely sorted out before my son comes home on leave at Christmas. It would be nice to pick him up in his Mustang...

I go here to contact Randy:
http://www.mustangboards.com/parts-desk/

He will know what GEM modules are equivalennt to yours. I have not seem many folks write about replacing GEMs, so have they impression they have been reliable. Complaints about switches are far more common.

When you say "within spec", where did you get the spec? The wiper switch has 3 terminals and, depending on position, plsces specific values of resistance between varoius terminals. The GEM outputs to the wiper relays depend on the values of resistance it senses in the two paths.

I have a "Factory Repair Manual CD" and the Haynes manual that I checked the resistance per the numbers listed in both manuals. Each position has a reading with the intermitent control having a range. I have a spare MF switch should I need it.

Thanks for the info I'll contact Randy and see what the damage may be. Junkyards in So-cal aren't what they used to be. They don't like people wandering and looking for stuff, most act as if they are the dealership parts counter.

Thanks Again,
Rod

I'm impressed you were able to sort out the inner workings of the switch on your own. With your level of electrical experience, I don't envision any impediment that will prevent you from restoring the factory wiper functions.

I would first discard the PO's toggle switch and reconnect everything "stock" to assess what works and what doesn't. Chances of all 3 relays being bad lie somewhere between slim and none. If you can rent or borrow an accomplice to touch a finger to each relay (run/park, hi-speed/lo-speed, and wash), you can determine if power is reaching the relay coils and if they are receiving signals from the GEM.

If a relay clicks but nothing else happens, that suggests to me a device (pump, motor), wiring, or fuse problem. If you are really lucky, the PO's manual switch might have bypassed a blown fuse. If some or no relays click, it's time to suspect the GEM. Do other GEM-controlled functions work OK? Examples include:
(1) Dome light comes on when a door is opened, and turns off after a delay or when the ignition is turned on.
(2) "One-touch down" power drivers window.
(3) Remote trunk release and trunk interior light.
(4) Power door locks.
Are all of the fuses that feed the GEM good?

Thanks that will be really helpful. You have given me enough info that I should have it figured out this weekend. Randy S. said he has never sold a GEM and does not think it is the problem and suggested swithcing the relays around to see if anything happens. First I need to reconnect the cut wires... there are some real morons out there fixing there own cars.