02-04 Mustangs look better

I can see the forum discussions back in 1927........

"I don't like the new model A, it's been wimp-er-ized, and doesn't look like it could spook a horse carraige if it t-boned it! Ford screwed up this time, I'm keepin my Model T. Now THAT'S an intimidating design, looks mean and tall and has more angles and doesn't have all those girly curves in the fenders. The Model A looks PLAIN to me, it needs some brass!!!! Why didn't Ford give it a brass radiator, and some side-mount spare tires??? It reminds me of a Studebaker, with a Willy's tail.... :)

• Sponsors (?)

RICKS said:
I can see the forum discussions back in 1927........

"I don't like the new model A, it's been wimp-er-ized, and doesn't look like it could spook a horse carraige if it t-boned it! Ford screwed up this time, I'm keepin my Model T. Now THAT'S an intimidating design, looks mean and tall and has more angles and doesn't have all those girly curves in the fenders. The Model A looks PLAIN to me, it needs some brass!!!! Why didn't Ford give it a brass radiator, and some side-mount spare tires??? It reminds me of a Studebaker, with a Willy's tail.... :)

I think you pretty much captured it. :lol:

[QUOTE=
- the Fox bodies are quite possibly the ugliest cars I have ever seen. How those things say "muscle car" or "sports car" is beyond me. I remember when I was little my dad was looking for a car, he went to check out a Mustang and when he saw it he freaked out and was like "THAT is a mustang?!?!?".... that was like in 89 I think.... it looks like a little economy car.

They may not have been the best looking Mustangs but give the Fox's some credit--if it weren't for them we might not have the Mustang as we know it today. I just get sick of all the new Mustang guys trashing on the Fox bodies. The 87-93 cars revolutionized the aftermarket industry and are true legends. Just my .02

The 87-93 cars revolutionized the aftermarket industry and are true legends.
Absolutely, and they sold great. 5o5speed: How absolutely blind to all things automotive was your dad to not realize what a fox-body Mustang looked like until he visited a dealer's lot in 1989 after over a million of them had been sold and were driving all over the U.S. roads and highways for 10 flippin years??? Had he spent the 80's at the North Pole, or the remote jungles of Africa?? Or did he just not get out much? LOL!!!

What is really great about the Mustang is that each model year run had its particular attributes. If I could have one car from each generation these would be my picks:

64-73: 1967 GT 500 (just like Eleanor)

74-78: no thanks, I'll pass

79-93: 92 LX 5.0 Hatchback (last year of forged pistons)

94-98: Yellow 98 Cobra (The new chrome yellow sucks)

99-04: Toss up between 00 Cobra R and 03-04 Cobra

5o5speed said:
I just get sick of all the new Mustang guys trashing on the Fox bodies. The 87-93 cars revolutionized the aftermarket industry and are true legends.

Exactly, A lot of '05+ potential buyers i talk to these days (off this board) are first time mustang potential buyers. Anytime you mention Fox to them they say "Oh those Mustangs were hideous, who would buy one??" :rolleyes:

I have a feeling i'll be running into a few '05 owners who will be snobbish towards driver's of "older" models. I've already had the feeling of that lately by some of the things i read and hear.

5o5speed said:
They may not have been the best looking Mustangs but give the Fox's some credit--if it weren't for them we might not have the Mustang as we know it today. I just get sick of all the new Mustang guys trashing on the Fox bodies. The 87-93 cars revolutionized the aftermarket industry and are true legends. Just my .02

I owned both an '85 and a '92 LX 5.0 and while they weren't the most refined machines, they were damn fun to drive.

sixstringthing said:
- the Fox bodies are quite possibly the ugliest cars I have ever seen. How those things say "muscle car" or "sports car" is beyond me. I remember when I was little my dad was looking for a car, he went to check out a Mustang and when he saw it he freaked out and was like "THAT is a mustang?!?!?".... that was like in 89 I think.... it looks like a little economy car.

Yeah those Foxbody stangs really look ugly :rolleyes:

goodresize.jpg

TomServo92 said:
I'm not seeing it either:

0914-19.jpg

enlarge_3.jpg

0914-8.jpg

enlarge_5.jpg

The Sebring has longer front and rear overhangs than the Mustang which makes it look longer and narrower.

Thank you for proving that the 2005 Mustang looks nothing like a Sebring. In fact the 99-04 Mustangs looks like a Sebring. Same short wheelbase, long front overhang plus virtually the same roof-line and rear deck shape.

RTGreen said:
Yeah those Foxbody stangs really look ugly :rolleyes:

goodresize.jpg

Sorry, but I don't see it. The FOX's tall greenhouse, short wheelbase and long front overhang make it look wimpy.

But I have to admit that 87 - 93 FOX Convertibles look pretty damned good with their tops down. With the top down it hides the Fox's model T like phone booth tall greenhouse.

einhander said:
quit the BS; mustang owners envy BMW owners; save up & one day you'll be able to buy the car of your dreams

I like BMW's. They are nice cars with great engineering. Too bad the owners still need a ton of work. This post proves just that. :notnice:

351CJ said:
So you may come back around. Besides, I just don't see how the '05 looks like a Sebring. I think you're stretching that one.

sorry I wasn't clear...I ment the '05 is kind of long and narrow looking, like the Sebring is, not that the Mustang looked anything like the Sebring does (God forbid :D)...(and I was thinking more of the convertible anyway; I'm not real interested in coupes anymore)

and like I said, the '05 looked good to me until I started seeing more and more of it...the exact opposite of my reaction to previous Mustang style changes...I'm afraid until Ford reworks some of the body lines the new Mustang just looks to 'understated' or 'sedate' for me...

but that's just my opinion...

Myself, I like some things about the 2005 (no fake stuff, although that can be deleted via appearance mods in the 94-04), and I like some things about the 94-04 (headlights, rear end, sharp lines in 99-04 models).

Overall, I think the 94-04 and 2005 look a lot alike. Yet the differences are interesting. I'm not sure which one I like better, looks-wise. If I had a 2005, I'm sure I'd get an aftermarket heat extractor hood, and the spoiler delete, and of course different rims.

einhander said:
quit the BS; mustang owners envy BMW owners; save up & one day you'll be able to buy the car of your dreams

sorry but theres a 91 535 and a 98 540i in the driveway outside and guess what...the 91 is built better than the 98 and neither are all that great. They are fun cars that drive and look good but theres nothing special about either of them.