02 F150 "A LOT OF WORK progress thread.

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
My Dad is sick of leasing trucks and since they don't lease anymore he's not buying new just to drive from home to work and to baseball games in the summer. So....he bought a 2002 F150 4x4 supercrew cab pickup. 62K, got it cheap, and he of course have all the parts for it. We sent the truck to a frame shop, and they "said" they couldn't pull it. :bs: If we had a frame rack my Dad could pull it. SO........the reason it's a lot of work is because we are changing the frame. We have an identical truck sitting the yard.

We just pulled the box off.....effing Ford's....we had to cut off 4 of the 6 bolts holding the box on. LUCKLY, all the cab bolts came out.

PICS...

Frame doesn't look bad, but it's kinked pretty good behind the wheel.
View attachment 294336

View attachment 294338

View attachment 294340

The quality Flowmaster exhaust system that rotted and broke off. We are just replacing it with stock.
View attachment 294342

MORE pics to come today. We'll see how far we get. He is working on this during working days, not weekends only so if should go by fast. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Looks exactly like my 97 jeep, passenger side frame rail was "shortened" 2". Insurance ended up totaling it for me and I sold it to a guy at the body shop for $1800. He fixed it and is still driving it today. Looks like a fun project, take lots of pics.

Coupe---We get some vehicles in every now and again. We almost fixed the parts truck that we are using to fix this truck. Good thing we didn't because this truck is much nicer and has half the miles. What are you looking for?

25th---Thanks. A KR interior would be nice. I haven't seen one come through yet. I had a 00 L last year, and I've seen quite a few Harley Trucks, but never a KR.

Okay...got the parts truck all ready....BUT The parts truck has a 5.4L our truck has a 4.6L hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Should we leave the 5.4L motor and trans on the frame and just drop our cab and box on it and then maybe change some wiring, or should we make more work for ourselves and swap the motors and trannies too????

We'll see by 5:00pm. My Dad's debeating what he wants to do. I say go 5.4L...but it has 133K on it vs. the 4.6L 64K. They both look maintained and all, but we're at a stand still with what we want to do. More PICS to come soon...hang tight.

Yeah, it's not too bad. It looks like we decided to change the motor and trans'. We want to keep everything original besides the frame. Ther other frame is damn clean for well over 100K. I'm surprised.

Yea man for 64k on that engine, i'd swap it too!

Make sure to take some pics this looks like a really cool project! How are u guys planning on taking out the frame? jack up the body off the frame, and roll it out form underneath basically?

OH and i'd be interested in a lightning.. with minimal damage that i'd be able to fix myself, like a bed, fenders, door, but i'd want the door frame, and actually underneath parts to be OK. I want an L but don't want to spend over 10k for one :nice: 99-04 would be perfect hahaha!

Yea man for 64k on that engine, i'd swap it too!

Make sure to take some pics this looks like a really cool project! How are u guys planning on taking out the frame? jack up the body off the frame, and roll it out form underneath basically?

OH and i'd be interested in a lightning.. with minimal damage that i'd be able to fix myself, like a bed, fenders, door, but i'd want the door frame, and actually underneath parts to be OK. I want an L but don't want to spend over 10k for one :nice: 99-04 would be perfect hahaha!

The sad thing is, the 5.4L with 130ish looks better than the 4.6L with 64K. The oil looks a little funy in the 4.6L....hmmm did someone ever change oil?? Both motors ran great, so we're in the air still. Good thing the day is almost over.

I missed your post above...so look at my new pics. Both cabs are in the air. We will push the frames out and move them to the room where the good truck cab is, then set the cab on that frame. Just like when I dropped the body of Hack Job onto the motor and trans and K-frame.

An L??? uh-oh.... Yeah, they are badass...but rare. I haven't seen too many in the auctions near us...I'll keep my eye on it. :nice::D

HAPPY BIRFDAY MAN!!! i had no idea!!!! :nice::nice:

Pics are sweet you guys are cruising through it! You'll have it done before the end of the week at that rate!!!!

Thanks bro! 26 today!!! :banana::rock::spot::cheers:

Yeah, even though some good ole Ford bolts are being a PITA! Luckly I have many saved from other projects. I know man, my Dad doesn't even need the thing anytime soon, but he just wants it done and out of the way. He's 51 and works like he's my age. He just knocks stuff out fast.

P.S. When was your B-day again??

You and your dad do some cool stuff. I'd love to be around that type of thing every day! He definitely is working his ass off on that thing, what does he have right now to drive? something leased i assume. I can't believe they don't lease trucks anymore?

I turned 26 september 8th :nice:

You and your dad do some cool stuff. I'd love to be around that type of thing every day! He definitely is working his ass off on that thing, what does he have right now to drive? something leased i assume. I can't believe they don't lease trucks anymore?

I turned 26 september 8th :nice:

Thanks. It's fun to be around just this...95% of the time. He has a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4. It's a badass truck, but he figured with the payment on it and as little as he drives, he'll just drive that for a while.

No leases on trucks. They're all done by us. His friend leased an Edge when his truck was up, but he could NOT get a truck anywhere.