02 gt pbr calipers rather than cobras calipers on a 65

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen this one come up before. In theory, any bracket that would work for the Cobra application should work for the standard V6/GT caliper as well. I havn't actually seen a picture, but from what I understand, the Mustang Steve bracket will not work with the GT/V6 caliper because there is interfearance with the caliper that isn't present when using the larger Cobra caliper.

Now let me just say that the GT/V6 caliper is a giant POS and you shouldn't use it. I upgraded my driver from the stock to the Cobra brakes and the simple difference in the ease of service alone is worth the money. Throw in the massive increase in stoping power and the wow effect (I perfer the Bullitt ones with the ponys) and its definately worth the extra cash to step it up to the Cobra calipers.

If you are going to go with the GT/V6 setup, there are much cheaper and just as effective, if not better setups out there.

Given that PBRs are 11", in the position (1:30 o'clock) his brackets are installed it is not possible to use any smaller rotors than 13" (unless you want to grind off some 1" from your top-right corner of the spindle). At least on 67 years but very likely for similar spindles. Not getting to other details. Cobra is a way to go though. There are however much more wrecked GTs than cobras that's why you possibly ended up with PBRs.

PS If you find a wrecked one take everything out of it (4 calipers with hoses, boost with MC, paking brake cables, all the nuts and bolts).

The older aluminum brackets won't work with the 12" GT stuff. There is an interference problem between the bracket and the caliper becasue the aluminum bracket is reliefed special for the Cobra PBR caliper.

Supposedly the newer steel ones will fit.

Why would you want the little brakes?

the reason i asked is because i have a set on 11" PBR calipers layin around... i guess i'll not be cheap and go with the cobra's, i didnt realize there is that much difference in the braking power- thanks Nick

You can use PBRs on classic stang with V8 spindles when you do following:

1. Machine about 1/4" off the 67 hub diameter to use GT rotors, if you used other rotors the caliper may end up in different distance from the mouting plane which would necessitate a more complicated bracket (assuming you have front drum brakes)

2. Manufacture bracket from at least 10 mm steel I guess there is no seller of premade brackets. Place it in front of the front wheel, not like stevemustang. You can use hand grinder or find a machine shop which has laser cutting machine.

3. Custom fab'ed brake lines are recommended. Bended brake lines from the GT may work though (if GT 's MC is installed too). Make sure you have bigger than stock MC because GT calipers are huge.

The old Kelsey-Hayes calipers actually work pretty well. That said, I'd also like to get the Cobra brakes on my '65, but don't really want to go to 17" wheels. The 16" Vintage 45s are exactly what I want; guess I'll keep looking at other brake options. IIRC, the MustangSteve brakes might fit my wheels with 1/4" spacers. Might experiment with that this winter.

I have the GT PBRs on my '68. I had them available, and they fit fine under 15" wheels. Perhaps I'll go Cobra when I get bigger wheels, but at the time I was not willing to do that.

..and, despite prevailing opinion, they are not an automatic death sentence. Some have even opentracked with them and lived to post another day :D

I have the GT PBRs on my '68. I had them available, and they fit fine under 15" wheels. Perhaps I'll go Cobra when I get bigger wheels, but at the time I was not willing to do that.

..and, despite prevailing opinion, they are not an automatic death sentence. Some have even opentracked with them and lived to post another day :D

What rotors did you use? Did you fab your own brackets?

If I had the parts lying around and was broke, I'd do the GT stuff. Beats the snot out of drums.