02 GT stalling while rolling

doubletap4311

Feb 8, 2011
Okay, here is what is going on. I usually drive my car hard. It's a weekend vehicle only. While driving today, normal driving, I exited the freeway. I was slowing down, pushed in the clutch, waiting to come to a complete stop at the light. My car was still rolling about 20 mph, engine stalls! It did this same thing four times today, same situation. I was able to pop the clutch to restart and gain my steering and power brakes. I had a custom tune from AM a few weeks ago. i initially had an issue with the launch rpm setting, but they corrected that. I have never had this problem and am not really sure what is going on. Any ideas where to look? No check engine light on at all after the restart, only when it dies.

• Sponsors (?)

You may think this is a crazy suggestion but check the battery, cables, and charging system.

Today's alternators REQUIRE the battery to maintain the alternator's field coil (excitation). The days of jump starting a car with a totally dead battery are over. It may start and appear to run but as soon as there is a change in electrical load, the alternator will shut down.

No alternator=no electricty=no computer control=motor quits.

The usual symptom is the car quitting for an unknown reason (your symptom).

Do yourself a big favor before replacing any parts. Check the battery and battery cables. Ensure the battery is fully charged and the battery cables are clean, tight, and corrosion free.

Next clean the MAF and check for vacuum leaks.

Then consider replacing the IAC.

Check for vacuum leaks, especially between the MAF and the throttle body.

Does the car have modifications? More aggressive cams can often require a higher than stock idle RPM to prevent instability and stalling.

Did this stalling issue pop up after the AM tune? Did they adjust the idle speed at all when mucking around with the "launch RPM"?

As wm sez, consider checking the IAC.

It has normal bolt on's. They did adjust the idle a bit. It holds a higher rpm until the car has came to a complete stop. Is this normal? I've had the tune for three weeks and this just happened yesterday for the first time. I did clean the iac and mas this morning. I drove it for a few minutes. It did not stall, but it acted like it wanted to. I'm thinking it could be me iac.