02 GT take on a 99 Cobra

blockhead

Feb 24, 2004
I have a friend that just got his hands on a 99 Cobra. Its stock right out of the dealer. Please check my sig. can i take him or what do I need to do to keep up at least? his engine is a fully stock cobra engine but no supercharger. he also is on 20" rims which is to my advantage. I don’t have the cash to go supercharge or turbo just yet. What other mods can i add to my current setup?

Oh by the way he plans to get a exhaust setup pretty soon.. So take that into consideration.

• Sponsors (?)

haha.. Thanks for all the comments.. my friend just got it and it came with the 20" rims.. Looks pretty good if you like big rims.. I personally don’t like them on stangs.. But hey to each there own. I haven’t raced him as of yet but plan to.. hehehe not sure if it got the fix but i did tell him about it and will be taking it in to check.

so without adding any chargers or turbo I just don’t stand a chance? What about some more bolt on’s? Any advice would help since I don’t want to get beat..

i have cash enough to do some bolt ons but not a supercharger or turbo. he doesnt have a supercharger its the cobra with out the SVT. all engin there has to be a way with bolt onts to beat him or be equal.. he is all stock egine and stock exhaust.. basicaly full stock.
i was thinking of a intake plenum with a TB and some pullies.. would that help out to a point were i can at least keep up? i have 3.55 gearing now would 3.73 be better with the mods i plan to get?

well i plan to some day get a turbo kit or charger. and i drive far (80miles round trip) for work so i wouldnt want to go passed 3.73 on gearing. as far as the amount of cash i can spend probably around 500-700 at once but can do more with some saving of course.. and yes i can do some of my own work. i prefer it that way. but the technical or crucial stuff ill be getting it done.

Zinc03GT made a comment of a nice list of parts, but i have most of the stuff except the intake parts.. would those put me even? without actualy spending my entire savings? if not and you have a better list let me now. i dont mind blowing it on my pony she is well worth it..

blockhead said:
Zinc03GT made a comment of a nice list of parts, but i have most of the stuff except the intake parts.. would those put me even? without actualy spending my entire savings? if not and you have a better list let me now. i dont mind blowing it on my pony she is well worth it..

I see you have the catted H, but I think you'd need to switch to LTs and a shorty o/r mid-pipe to get your power close. It's not cheap, and can be a pain to install (from what I've heard, mine are in the plans), but your stock manifolds are holding you back a bit. If you added a new MAF, throttle body/plenum combo and 4.10s to those parts you should have the edge.

03-s281 said:
They run high 13's to low14's stock

As far as I know, the last Cobra that ran 14s with a decent driver was built in 95...

99-01 Cobras run 13.5 right off the showroom floor

I raced one on the highway and it wasn't pretty. He wasn't exactly bone stock but had some really basic bolt ons. Got walked bad ! :spot:

IMHO...If he's bone stock and still has 3.27's and if you can launch--You'll take him up to 60mph. Past 60, he'll go by ya. As been mentioned though, should be a drivers race.