02 GT Vortech SQ 14# vs KB 14# Dyno's

YellowJacketGT

Founding Member
Oct 28, 2002
The followng Dyno's are from the same car. Same mod's except Supercharger.
Both similar rwh.

Vortech SQ w/Cooler 14# 441rwh/392TQ
Vortech Dyno

KB 14# 449rwh/465TQ
KB Dyno

Vortech pulled great up top. Could screw up at launch and still have great mph. Easy to run at track. Slam gas hang on. (et streets)

KB. Well the flat Torque is a kick around the street. Don't have to rev high to get the power.
Have not been to the track yet. Suspect will have to learn how to drive. Low end Torque may slip and slide.

• Sponsors (?)

I forgot to mention the Vortech SQ Dyno was with the Reichard intake. This straightened out the line from 5500 up. Did not see the end of the hp line.
Really was not willing to rev to 7000. The Reichard intake just begins to wake up over 6000 RPM. Great race high rev intake...

The Vortech had a noticable wine at idle . People will know you have a centrifical supercharger. When you get on it the sound disappears.

The KB is just the opposite. At idle there is not sound. The more you get on it the louder it sounds.

Would the results be simular with a procharger D1SC with an intercooler.I will be going with a S/C almost as soon as the warrenty goes, probably buy one on the same day LOL.I am stuck between a procharger and a kennebell.I will be opening a thread so I can get all of my Qs anwsered, but the main thing is which will make more power?And arnt KBs numbers done with a full intake and like a catback or something?I believe procharger puts them on to a stock GT and get simular numbers with no intake mods right?Then with the procharger you can buy a c&l intake and a high flow maf and all that.Not sure though, but anyways I am kinda leaning toward KB because of their insane low end power and low end tork, as well as both high end power and good high end tork.Thanks, and good comparison I bet the KB make the car run.

Had to get 295/35/18 BFG Drag Radials (What tread. Someone looked at a picture of the tires when they were new and suggested the tires are worn).
Great tires for hooking on the street (Don't try and drive in the rain).

These tires gave me back second gear. Still have 4:10's (Left over from Vortech).

Ran 26x15 et streets with Vortech (392rwh) 12.3 @ 115. 1.71 60'.

KB at the track depends on the skill of the driver. Torque wins races assuming the rubber meets the road. We will see....

Depends on what you want . I happen to like the neck snaping instant boost.
Vortech has upper end pulling power.. Each increase in RPM was an increase in hp. Notice the hp line ... still rising...

A lot less heat generated by Vortech. (Max boost for shorter period of time).
Heat generated by KB is a force to be delt with. Some have a small nitrous shot, others are trying some form of Water/Methonal injection. Myself I reduce timing . Planning on adjusting timming depending AIT heat...

I could run time after time at the track with the Vortech. I suspect I will have to consider some cool down with the KB. I have a switch that turns on the innercooler fans and pumps (Gords Heat Exchange) with car ingition off. This cools the temp of the water around 1 degree per minute.

Vortech "may" have better track times but I still would not trade for street fun.

nice comparison. I love my Novi 2000, but there's no hiding the noise that I love. People that know what it is will know. People that dont recognize blower whistle don't have a clue what the noise is. I think after I get my built engine, and a smaller blower pulley and get my desired +600 RWHP I'll make up some torque from my centri blower w/ a little shot of NOS down low. :)

BTW the 2.2L KB may be more interesting, but to me the current RWHP they make just isn't that impressive to me. The torque is nice for daily driving though.

YellowJacketGT said:
I forgot to mention the Vortech SQ Dyno was with the Reichard intake. This straightened out the line from 5500 up. Did not see the end of the hp line.
Really was not willing to rev to 7000. The Reichard intake just begins to wake up over 6000 RPM. Great race high rev intake...

Have to love the RR intake. You are so right about just getting started at higher RPM's. 4K-6K seems to be a teaser.

I can't wait to be able to rev to 7K.

Nice comparison on the numbers.

fastback brian said:
D1sc at 14psi would get you over 500rwhp, you must have a built engine.

Later on I will have a built cobra engine with 8.5-1s all forged.But can I upgrade from the p1SC to the D1sc after I get my built engine?This will be when my GT gets about 100K on it.Anyways I guess procharger would be the way to go then, because of less heat and more potential.Also will that procharger D1SC, if I switch it, fit right onto a cobra engine or is there something different about the mounting between a 2V and a 4V.All I want is to beat WS6 TAs and SS camaros, both stock and modified.Do you think just a p1sc by itself would be enough to take most LS1s?I may wait on the exhaust part because I believe that the headers are different for a 4V right and I dont want to buy them twice LOL.Not sure what I will do, but until I hit 36K this car is staying pretty much stock.May chang the air filter but thats about all.BTW how long do you guys think the stock motor will last with a p1sc pushing on it?I dont get on it too much and for the most part I shift at like 1800RPM with about a 1/4 throttle of gas on, maybe less.

hotmustang331 said:
Later on I will have a built cobra engine with 8.5-1s all forged.But can I upgrade from the p1SC to the D1sc after I get my built engine?This will be when my GT gets about 100K on it.Anyways I guess procharger would be the way to go then, because of less heat and more potential.Also will that procharger D1SC, if I switch it, fit right onto a cobra engine or is there something different about the mounting between a 2V and a 4V.All I want is to beat WS6 TAs and SS camaros, both stock and modified.Do you think just a p1sc by itself would be enough to take most LS1s?I may wait on the exhaust part because I believe that the headers are different for a 4V right and I dont want to buy them twice LOL.Not sure what I will do, but until I hit 36K this car is staying pretty much stock.May chang the air filter but thats about all.BTW how long do you guys think the stock motor will last with a p1sc pushing on it?I dont get on it too much and for the most part I shift at like 1800RPM with about a 1/4 throttle of gas on, maybe less.
only issue w/a P1 Procharger is you will be limited w/ it much over 400 RWHP. If that's your finaly goal go for it. You can take most anything on the road w/ that much including WS6, and SS. I barely lost to a LS1 SS N/A running 13.45 ET's. As long as you don't rag the car out w/ a s/c on it it will last just fine. See my sig :) but I just put my Novi on in April 04. Novi 2000 have pushed 25 #'s of boost before ! Should take you anywhere ya want to go. Just depends on your goals. Everyone says the upgrade from a P1 to a D1 is worth it. Oh and I'm sure the mounting brackets form a 2V, and 4V are different.