02 gt vs 03 cobra

• Sponsors (?)

You do really need to do a ton of research. The forums are like an encyclopedia, or these days, wikipedia. Search them. You will find 1000X more info if you put the time in to it than posting a simple thread. Educate yourself.

Don't have ass FI stuff.

do you realize how much comes with a supercharger?

fuel pump,maf,injectors,spark plugs, dyno tune...this stuff alone will put you at around another 800 or so plus that 1500 your already looking at. If you will be patient and shop around you can get a good deal I got my novi 1000 headunit for 300 shipped.

maybe im busy and dont have time so i ask people and try to get an answer no some smart ass like your past few posts. if you cant help me just go post somewhere else sorry that i ask questions

he is absolutely right though man. there is a reason why all of us on this board have put grands upon grands into our cars to make them faster. if we could find a blower for our cars for 1500 to slap on i think everyone would have jumped on that. heck that is the price of a midpipe and catback and maybe a throttle body these days lol.

I believe there have been guys post on here trying to make a cobra blower work on a 2v and if im not mistaken they ended up spending more trying to get that to work than just buying a kit.

Talk with your friend who is selling you this and ask all the details from him about the kit and what all its coming with. Cause if he is simply unbolting it off his cobra and handing you a bunch of stuff then, with the amount you are wanting to spend, its gonna become a very expensive paper weight.

so please sir do not snap at one of the board members. if you really looked into what he was telling you he is trying to save you time, money and a Ginormous headache. So if you were really busy you would just buy yourself a kit instead of trying to hunt down parts here real soon. Alot of us guys on here have been around the block and we have seen projects get extremely expensive quick and wish we would have just went with a complete kit from the beginning.

This isnt even half of the stuff you need for F/I. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Vortec Kits come with a complete fuel system, MAF, Chip, plus all the hardware for the install.

O.P. - You should rethink this, you will spend an easy $800 on the fuel system, and another $500 for a tune because it prob wont even run well enough to drive it, not to mention the intake and MAF will cost you at least $1000, and you still need an intercooler and someone to install it. On top of that your still running a used supercharger that might net you 75 - to 100 hp, If you decide to go ahead with the project, best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out!

On the other hand a vortec kit comes with everything you need to install and drive it away It will net you well over 100hp and by the time everything is said and done you'll prob be in the same price range.

By all means if I'm wrong about something please share but dont be a douche. :flag:

This isnt even half of the stuff you need for F/I. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Vortec Kits come with a complete fuel system, MAF, Chip, plus all the hardware for the install.

O.P. - You should rethink this, you will spend an easy $800 on the fuel system, and another $500 for a tune because it prob wont even run well enough to drive it, not to mention the intake and MAF will cost you at least $1000, and you still need an intercooler and someone to install it. On top of that your still running a used supercharger that might net you 75 - to 100 hp, If you decide to go ahead with the project, best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out!

On the other hand a vortec kit comes with everything you need to install and drive it away It will net you well over 100hp and by the time everything is said and done you'll prob be in the same price range.

By all means if I'm wrong about something please share but dont be a douche. :flag:

You are correct. That post only has the head unit and required brackets. In total it will still be $1500+ cost of tuning (~$500) and those extra fuel items / odds and ends = at least ~$2500 total

The 03 cobra Eaton route will cost you just as much as a non intercooled vortech kit will cost.

Yea, but then you have an intercooled, positive displacement blower, which is >>> than a non-intercooled centrifugal.

OP, sometimes these guys on the forums come off as harsh, and sometimes they are, but you really do need to do some more research. I swear I think I've read every 4.6 thread on this site, yet I still don't know anywhere near everything about them.

As far as putting a Cobra/Lightning blower on the two-valve PI GT heads: it can be done relatively 'cheaply' actually, but it's going to require you to piece together a kit and probably do the labor yourself. If you are going to pay for the labor, you'll be a lot better off just buying a new, complete kit, because shops are going to charge a TON when they have to work with old/used and mismatched parts. BUT, if you want to do that, here's what you've got to do.

You're going to need the blower, heat exchanger, coolant reservoir and hoses, throttle body/plenum, fuel injectors, and MAF sensor from a 03-04 Cobra. If you are patient and look around, all of this can be had for less than $1000. Here's one for $1200 with all of the stuff listed above. This is just an example to show that it doesn't cost as much as some people think. I've seen kits like that go for as low as $600. You will also need a bigger fuel pump; SVT Focus fuel pumps can be had new for $150. The Tork Tech intake manifold for the blower (found here will also be needed, and was $1800 the last time I saw the price listed. And finally you will need a tune, which will probably run in the neighborhood of $500 including a SCT chip.

That totals up to around $3500 total, although the parts can be had for much cheaper if you look around for long enough. $500 for miscellaneous parts is a gracious plenty.

So, all in all, you are looking at $4000 for an intercooled, positive displacement blower good to around 500 horsepower, and that $4000 is on the very high end. I'm confident that it could be done for around 3 grand if you were patient.

While that is a lot of money, it is very cheap in the terms of a positive displacement supercharger kit on these cars. You are looking at $6k+ if buying a new Kenne Bell or TVS blower from Tork Tech. You could probably piece together a centrifugal kit in the same manner as this for a small amount less. But believe me when I tell you that a positive displacement blower is MUCH more fun to drive, and it is well worth the extra $500 it may cost.

And also, if you really want to supercharge your 4.6 Mustang, DON'T do it half-assed and buy a non-intercooled kit. As an owner of a non-intercooled blower, I will never recommend one to anybody. It gets so hot and heat soaked, it is ridiculous. You have to pull so much timing to keep the detonation under control that it's really not worth it. Plus, it SUCKS running half a second to a full second slower in the summer than in the winter. Trust me. If you don't have the money to buy an intercooled kit, either you don't need to buy a blower, or you need to wait until you do have the money.

You are right about the needed parts, but your prices are way off. The only fuel/air mods you need are the fuel pump, fuel injectors, and MAF sensor. I got all 3 used for less than $250. :shrug:

Yes, assuming we are talking intercooled, you still need the intercooler and all the required pipes/tubes. That will cost, but not as much as you think. You can probably piece together an intercooled Vortech kit for around $3000 total.

And have you checked the prices of new Vortech kits lately? They are over $5k, and they come with an aftercooler (not nearly as good as an intercooler).

Bottom line, if I had a 99-04 PI 2-valve GT and wanted to supercharge it, I would do exactly what I posted in my previous post. ~$3500 for an intercooled, positive displacement blower (with a proven track record from an Eaton blower) with the capability to easily produce more power than our stock internals can hold? Yes please. :nice:

My thing is, If i'm going to shoot for 500hp why not build it for 750hp so down the road all you have to do is swap your blower or pullies. I'm basing my pricing off Summit and CJ's, I am totally against used parts simply because if it wasnt good enough for someone elses car, why would I want it on mine? On the other hand if thats what you can afford, and can make it happen your cars going to be faster than mine!

P.S. Stage3motorsports has Vortec kits starting at $3700 with instuctions and a 3 year warranty.

2000-2004 Mustang 4.6L GT Vortech Supercharger Kit (V2, S-Trim)