02 sensors

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
does anyone know anything about O2 sensor simulators for the 5.0. i know they make them for the newer mustangs....i really wish i could find them for my 89. my car is running pretty rich and id like to try to fix the problem...starting with something small. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of an O2 'simulator'. How about replacing the O2's? I have the same problem, car running rich. I've been dealing with the issue for over a year now, with no one able to find the cause. I'll be replacing my 'new' O2's again soon, the shop has snagged enough $$$ with its diags.

i figured that nobody made 02 sims for the 5.0. it just plugs into the wire instead of an 02 sensor so that you can run a true off road pipe or long tube headers with out the bung for the O2s. they trick the computer into thinking that your car is running perfect. guess ill just have to buy some new ones.

ECU5.0 said:
i figured that nobody made 02 sims for the 5.0. it just plugs into the wire instead of an 02 sensor so that you can run a true off road pipe or long tube headers with out the bung for the O2s. they trick the computer into thinking that your car is running perfect. guess ill just have to buy some new ones.

I think the 96 to present Mustangs have four O2 sensors (a set before and after the cats) and the M.I.L. Eliminators are installed after the converters to trick the computer into thinking that the cats are working normally when you run an off road exhaust. I don't think those would be applicable to 95 and below Mustangs.

Tim

Why would you not want to run the O2's? The engine goes from closed loop (where it uses the O2 sensor input to lean things out) to open loop (where it does NOT use the O2 input) at wide open throttle. So there's no performance benefit to not having them. Without them, your car will simply consume more fuel for no gain.

Michael's right.

my o2's werent even hooked up and i was getting horrible gas mileage and less power. so when i threw on a new set i gain 17mpg in town use compared to the 13mpg in town i was getting. also i was still treating the car the same way i did before i threw on a new set of o2's. they way i was treating the car was basically hot rodding it alot.

Michael Yount said:
Why would you not want to run the O2's? The engine goes from closed loop (where it uses the O2 sensor input to lean things out) to open loop (where it does NOT use the O2 input) at wide open throttle. So there's no performance benefit to not having them. Without them, your car will simply consume more fuel for no gain.

thanks for the info...i didnt know that the new stangs had 4 O2 sensors. guess ill just have to buy some new ones. thanks