02 SS, Y or X pipe

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Ok this isnt a ford question, but I am asking it for my friend, who has a 02 SS camaro. # 1 Does anyone know if a Dr gas x pipe will fit on his SS. #2 will O/R set off ses light? #3 If X pipe will not bolt on, what is required to make one fit? #4 would it be better/easier to go with a Y pipe? #5 how much power would he see from an X pipe, and how much from a Y? #6 should he keep cats or go O/R and change it out once a year like I will have to. #7 Where can he get 02 simulators if O/R sets off SES. #8 will O/R Y make a big difference in its sound?. How about O/R X?..........Ok I dont really expect any of you who own ONLY mustangs to know these Qs, but since there are some on here who own camaros, I thought I would give it a shot LOL. Thanks VERY much for any replies/info.......Ok to keep anyone from complaining, I have a Q about my 04. What mod should I do next, that will give me the MOST HP for a good price?BTW timing is out of the question with these gas prices. Now I have a guy that will sell me his Jet stg 2 chip for $125, it was used in his 00 GT, but now he has a 00-01 WS6 T/A and has no use for it. HE said that before the chip, his best time was 14.6, then he said he installed that chip and welded in flowmasters, and he got a 14.3...said that he felt a pretty big difference.Good thing is that it can run on 89 or 93 octain, according to him. Will it work in my 04, and is it worth it? Thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

hotmustang331 said:
Ok this isnt a ford question, but I am asking it for my friend, who has a 02 SS camaro. # 1 Does anyone know if a Dr gas x pipe will fit on his SS. #2 will O/R set off ses light? #3 If X pipe will not bolt on, what is required to make one fit? #4 would it be better/easier to go with a Y pipe? #5 how much power would he see from an X pipe, and how much from a Y? #6 should he keep cats or go O/R and change it out once a year like I will have to. #7 Where can he get 02 simulators if O/R sets off SES. #8 will O/R Y make a big difference in its sound?. How about O/R X?..........Ok I dont really expect any of you who own ONLY mustangs to know these Qs, but since there are some on here who own camaros, I thought I would give it a shot LOL. Thanks VERY much for any replies/info.......Ok to keep anyone from complaining, I have a Q about my 04. What mod should I do next, that will give me the MOST HP for a good price?BTW timing is out of the question with these gas prices. Now I have a guy that will sell me his Jet stg 2 chip for $125, it was used in his 00 GT, but now he has a 00-01 WS6 T/A and has no use for it. HE said that before the chip, his best time was 14.6, then he said he installed that chip and welded in flowmasters, and he got a 14.3...said that he felt a pretty big difference.Good thing is that it can run on 89 or 93 octain, according to him. Will it work in my 04, and is it worth it? Thanks again.

Unless things have advanced/changed since I had my '99 and '01 Formulas, the X-pipe idea is going to be a big pain. Get a good O/R Y and save some headaches.

As far as the chip, if it were me, I'd hold off and get a SCT chip tailored to your car after you have a few more mods.

jstreet0204 said:
That chip is going to bump the timing which you said you didn't want to do.

Well the reason I did not want to up the timing was because I did not want to run 93 octain...and I really ment a T/A LOL, not just timing.My bad. Its just the $1.95 premium gas prices that I dont want, and on top of that I have heard that the T/As will make your car buck at low RPMs, but the chips do not. If I am going to bump timing I would rather it be through a chip, but I just dont know if its worth it, and if a chip for a 00 Gt will even work in my car. And since its been a while, they may have played with the chips some more at Jet and maybe they make even more power now...Just dont know.

hotmustang331 said:
Well the reason I did not want to up the timing was because I did not want to run 93 octain...and I really ment a T/A LOL, not just timing.My bad. Its just the $1.95 premium gas prices that I dont want, and on top of that I have heard that the T/As will make your car buck at low RPMs, but the chips do not. If I am going to bump timing I would rather it be through a chip, but I just dont know if its worth it, and if a chip for a 00 Gt will even work in my car. And since its been a while, they may have played with the chips some more at Jet and maybe they make even more power now...Just dont know.
I know the processors and stategies changed some so I don't know if that chip would work. I wouldn't recommend buying a used chip anyway. As far as the timing adjuster, it is kind of hit and miss for the bucking. I had it when I first installed the one I used to have. once I deleted the egr it went away.

To use a X-Pipe you would have to make a completly custom exhaust on any F-Body. The stock exhaust is 2 into 1.

If you want to free up the exhaust on a LS1 get a larger SLP y-pipe and get rid of the flat pipe.

He could do true duals without too much hassle if there's a good exhaust shop he can go to. As said, it would have to be custom so all he'd have to buy is the X crossover pipe (Dr. Gas is good) and let them do the rest.

IMHO, he should only go with X-pipe if he's got headers (Mac's or LT's, not shorties).

If he doesn't want headers (or can't because of emissions) then I'd say either have a custom ORY made or buy one that'll fit the stock manifolds (SLP sells one).

And yes, he will get an SES light if he removes the cats. No biggie though, it won't hurt drivability or performance...but if he wants, he can buy O2 sims or have the rear O2's deleted from the PCM and it'll fix that.

An ORY and a catback will probably make around 8-12rwhp over stock. An X-pipe will prolly make about the same, it'll just sound different.

Just FYI, he will lose some ground clearance with LTs and true duals (more than LTs and a Y-pipe would)...and it's kind of a PITA to run true duals over the axle on the F-bodies. Most people just dump the exhaust before the axle (that makes it pretty damn loud inside the car).

Hey guys thanks for all the info.Yea he cant get LTs due to ground clearance issues, car sites VERY low from the factory. I talked to him today and I believe he is going with a 2.75 inch Y pipe that I found on LMPERFORMANCE.com.Claimed 5-10 RWHP. Looks like LS1s dont gain as much from exhaust as we do, unless they go with LTs. Mullets.com huh LOL. No he is not one of those guys.I dont think rednecks/hicks or whatever can afford a SS, they usually go with mid 90s Z28s LOL.

I have a SLP Y-Pipe and a SLP D/D Cat-Back. The Y-Pipe made very little SOTP difference, I only bought it to get rid of alot of the rasp the flat Y-Pipe makes.

95% of the people who run true duals an a F-Body don't need them. They look very rigged and sound like crap. Dual 2.5 into a single 3.5 is more than enough.

Yea I told him that he probably wouldnt get a big gain, but he said that he should be able to feel 10HP so he wants it...he plans on going with a S/C, but thats a little down the road.Those bad boys make like 450RWHP and run mid-low 11s with S/Cs...insane.Wonder how long the LS1 will hold with it...he has 75K on it already, and the only thing i remember going wong was the A/C clutches wore out....but then again he never turns it off, even when racing or getting on it with me in the car LOL.