02 V6 Fuel Tank Removal Issues

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by NewEdgeStang Daniel, May 31, 2014.

1. NewEdgeStang Daniel

NewEdgeStang Daniel New Member

Hey guys first post. So i'm in the process of replacing my fuel pump and i'm having a bit of trouble getting the tank all the way out. I have got everything disconnected and the straps off but i'm having a hard time getting the fuel filler neck to come out? There is kind of a bottleneck point (inside the trunk) Is there a trick to this? Any info would be much appreciated!
  2. 38stang

38stang Founding Member

Do you have the filler neck unbolted from the body of the car at the gas cap?
    the neck is some times hard to pull out of the tank, also get a new gasket for the filler neck to tank conection it almost alway breaks.
  3. moonrises2

moonrises2 New Member

If you're replacing the tank, obviously this won't help, but if it's the fuel pump, this worked for me.

I just put a new fuel pump in my 99. I removed the strap bolts, and using a floor jack and a 4' length of 2x12 lumber, dropped it gently enough on one side - with the filler neck still passed into my trunk but disconnected at the gas cap end from the fender - to clear enough distance to replace the fuel pump/sending unit.