02gt Engine Going In 96 Gt Shell

JulioCesar2vGT

Oct 8, 2016
Hows It Going Guys Names Julio So I Recentlt Had A Small Problem With My 02 GT And Now Im Left With Motor And Tranny I Was Wondering If The 02 Gt Motor Would Be Like A Plug And Play In A 96 Gt Shell I Wont Be Getting Any Of The Engine Harness And So On Since I Do Have Everything From My 02 I Can Use That Correct? Also Its Has Auto Transmission But I Am Looking To Change Motor Over To A 5 Speed Shell Will Be Coming With A T-45 Will That Bolt Right Up Or Does 02 And Up Require The Tr3650 Any Help Is Appreciated Thanks In Advance

• Sponsors (?)

Also, with the harness from the 02, you'll be good to go there too.
IMO this will make a great follow up thread regarding the real world results of taking a motor wiring harness from a 2002 model year and connecting to a body wiring harness of a 1996 model. I'm sure it will be a great read.

To the OP. Please do the Mustang world the favor of posting the results so that anyone else considering the same swap will know if it's a good idea or not.

For the record I suspect that the results will not be good. Why? The 1996 has a coil pack ignition. Where as the 2002 has individual coil on plugs (COB). At the minimum from a wiring harness point of view the 1996 has (4) ignition return signals back to the PCM. The 2002 has (8) ignition return signals to the PCM.

There are other motor electrical difference such as:
  • the 96 has two temperature sensors whereas the 02 has one.
  • the 96 has an low oil level sensor whereas the 02 does not.
  • the 96 has a very different EVAP purge system.
  • the 02 has a fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) whereas the 96 does not.
  • And as already mentioned the coil-pack verses COP ignition.

Last edited:
IMO this will make a great follow up thread regarding the real world results of taking a motor wiring harness from a 2002 model year and connecting to a body wiring harness of a 1996 model. I'm sure it will be a great read.

To the OP. Please do the Mustang world the favor of posting the results so that anyone else considering the same swap will know if it's a good idea or not.

For the record I suspect that the results will not be good. Why? The 1996 has a coil pack ignition. Where as the 2002 has individual coil on plugs (COB). At the minimum from a wiring harness point of view the 1996 has (4) ignition return signals back to the PCM. The 2002 has (8) ignition return signals to the PCM.

There are other motor electrical difference such as:
  • the 96 has two temperature sensors whereas the 02 has one.
  • the 96 has an low oil level sensor whereas the 02 does not.
  • the 96 has a very different EVAP purge system.
  • the 02 has a fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) whereas the 96 does not.
  • And as already mentioned the coil-pack verses COP ignition.
OK This Explain It Alot More Only Thing Is That I Was Going To Swap Everything Over From The 2v Honestly Was Not Going to Try To Use Anything I Know It Was Going to Be A Little More Work But If I Have The Roller And A Donor Why Not Do It Only Thing I Probably Would Have Changed Is Dash As Well But If I Can Find Me A 99-04 Body Will BE Better Since I Won't Have TO Do Much Work Thanks for The Advice Guys

For the record you proposed swap WOULD be very do'able IF you have the motor wiring harness, fuel rails, front acc drive, and ignition from the 1996.

Even better to have a donor with a blown motor. Then any OBTW parts that may come up would be "on hand"?

If this were my project and I had a choice, I would use a 1999-2004 donor.