03/04 Cobra Drivetrain Swap in to a '94 GT

• Sponsors (?)

There's a VERY detailed thread on the swap over on turbomustangs.com I think the owner's user name is yellow bus or something like that.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the donor car. In fact, I actually concidered doing it instead of my dart block setup. It would ahve been a little more expensive but in the end I think it would've been more streetable.

Here's a big question:

Who would do the installation? You or a shop?

I would think that this conversion would be a killer setup with all the potential that 03/04 Cobra owners currently enjoy. However, if someone had a shop to the total conversion, the labor costs could be massive.

Very intersting topic though, especially considering how nice the 03/04 Cobra motors are (mostly forged internals I do believe).

Actually raced one at the track a year or so ago. It was a 96 Cobra. I believe. Pretty nice, but very tight and was massively expensive to do. Ran a Cobra R hood to clear the blower. Required conversion of the fuel system..so on and so on.

- Matt

5 LOCAL cars have done the swap that I know of off the top of my head, and I am sure there are more. If you dont do it, sell it to me and I will do it. One guy I know did it on a fox coupe, he bought a wrecked cobra for 9k. Now his fox has a T56, motor, Full enterior including the gauges and pretty much everything else except the IRS from that wrecked car. It seriosuly couldnt be anyharder then building a 5.0 and adding all the extra goodies in.

BlueOvalStangGT said:
5 LOCAL cars have done the swap that I know of off the top of my head, and I am sure there are more. If you dont do it, sell it to me and I will do it. One guy I know did it on a fox coupe, he bought a wrecked cobra for 9k. Now his fox has a T56, motor, Full enterior including the gauges and pretty much everything else except the IRS from that wrecked car. It seriosuly couldnt be anyharder then building a 5.0 and adding all the extra goodies in.

The only real downside I see, besides losing the pushrod, is the actual costs of the conversion IF a shop needed to be involved.

I couldn't do the conversion myself, however, I a year or two, I will be looking to put in a new longblock, new/rebuilt tranny, and a host of other parts required for the longblock (starter, fuel items, alternator, radiator, and many other accessories).

I can't imagine what a shop would charge if I showed up with my stang and an 03/04 Cobra motor and tranny and asked the shop to swap it all out. Time wouldn't be an issue, but in my case, I do not have the tools and other things needed to complete such a task. In fact, the longblock (actually a complete crate motor) in my current plans would be installed by a local shop.

Any reason to think that a shop couldn't do this swap with relative ease or could someone be looking at a few thousand dollars worth of labor?

I would consider this over my current 347 plan big time. The 03/04 Cobra motor as a whole is very strong with no real weak points (maybe rods, but I think that was in earlier cobras when 450+hp was desired). The power bone stock is great and a few basic bolt-ons can easily net another 100hp and some torque. Emissions would never be a concern either which is something I absolutely have to keep a top priority.

Thanks for the input. Had I done this swap I would have done it myself & transfered over everything from the donor car including the entire wiring harness. Looks like the plan has changed now, picked up a cheap used Vortech S trim last night off ebay so I'm toying with the 5.0 for now.

my bro is doing this swap into his fox body, Big Daddy proformance(formally outragous mustangs) is doing all the work. its getting to be kinda common these days acording to him.

they even make parts to make the swap easier like a k-member thatplaces the motor exactly where it need to be, and tuneing devices that make it so you can run a return fuel system instead of a returnless

there is a fourum dedicated to this, just not sure what it is, i'll ask him later