03-04 Cobra Problems?

I was wondering, people that own those year cobras or have friends that own them. What are the problems those motors have? I've been thinking the 03-04 cobras are made out of gold, the best number one. I heard how its the built mustang motor, can hold 1000HP stock, crazy horse power for like 2000 dollars, Etc... Is this all true I would just like to know? I know the IRS really sucks and breaks quick from cobra owns but that is all.

So my question is how great is that car really? I think its Bad A... but i don't own one. :shrug:

I ask because a lot of people are tradin there cars for them so i'm just trying to see if its really worth the money. I don't think it is but maybe that is because i have a 4v. Mine isn't half as good as the 03 cobra but its mine. :)

• Sponsors (?)

GoBabyVroommm said:
I thought the pistons were really good? How much hp do those piston hold. I have tickin in mine too. But it can be a exhaust leak too but i high doubt it.

Is it true just by putting a live axel the cobra can shave tenths off the 1/4 mile?

These pistons are pitiful. They are a weak forged piston with teflon coating on them. They don't like heat or detonation and tend to break very easily with these two things.

neoclasiccl said:
These pistons are pitiful. They are a weak forged piston with teflon coating on them. They don't like heat or detonation and tend to break very easily with these two things.

your bottom end seems to be holding up, or do you have a rebuild to better pistons etc? have you broken anything with all that power?

Blakers01GT said:
your bottom end seems to be holding up, or do you have a rebuild to better pistons etc? have you broken anything with all that power?

I had Tim tune the car extremely safe due to these problems. If we had tuned the car for what it wanted to do I would be running around 650HP instead of the HP I have now. My torque number is also very low for the mods but better safe than sorry. I am planning a billet race motor at the end of the summer so I can stop worring about this bottom end.

neoclasiccl said:
I had Tim tune the car extremely safe due to these problems. If we had tuned the car for what it wanted to do I would be running around 650HP instead of the HP I have now. My torque number is also very low for the mods but better safe than sorry. I am planning a billet race motor at the end of the summer so I can stop worring about this bottom end.

that's sweet, I was gonna ask how conservative your tune was. But why don't you just wait till your bottom end breaks or starts knocking? afraid you're gonna throw a rod up into your heads? :D :rolleyes:

also, with the IRS, with normal street driving, how is the ride quality, and on bumpy old roads, how is the ride, the car doesn't hop or get crazy does it?

Blakers01GT said:
that's sweet, I was gonna ask how conservative your tune was. But why don't you just wait till your bottom end breaks or starts knocking? afraid you're gonna throw a rod up into your heads? :D :rolleyes:

The rods for my power level will not break trust me. They are manley rods custom made for SVT and they are tough. The pistons, trigger wheel and oil gears seems to be the culprit.

I am trying to keep the bottom end intact since I prefer to pay in cash for the bottom end rather than go into debt LOL. Plus I could sell the bottom end for a small amount too :D

I am still debating if I want to go solid with some 33's but I really love the IRS for a daily driver. It is awesome for handling and with the Nittos I haven't had any wheel hop at all. I just have to make up my mind if I want the level 5 shafts with new bushings or a solid rear :shrug:

It sucks cause I'm only 22 and no ford dealership will let me test an 03 or 04 because they don't think im serious about buying, i just tell them, their loss, the just passed a sale up by not letting me test.

Blakers01GT said:
It sucks cause I'm only 22 and no ford dealership will let me test an 03 or 04 because they don't think im serious about buying, i just tell them, their loss, the just passed a sale up by not letting me test.

Well If you were local I would let ya take a romp in the KB but I don't think it would give ya a comparison to stock LOL. But that's sad they won't let ya take a spin. Reminds me when I went to look at Z06's and they don't let you drive them. I was already approved for the loan and they said I couldn't drive it until I signed the papers :nonono:

neoclasiccl said:
Well If you were local I would let ya take a romp in the KB but I don't think it would give ya a comparison to stock LOL. But that's sad they won't let ya take a spin. Reminds me when I went to look at Z06's and they don't let you drive them. I was already approved for the loan and they said I couldn't drive it until I signed the papers :nonono:

I know, I mean we're talking about sweet cars here, 03 cobras, Vette's 30-50k cars, but not 911's, Modena's, and lambos ETC. one of the salesmen tells me they don't let 03+ cobras out because one guy came in and beat the crap out of one with the salesmen in the car. I just said "IM NOT GOING TO BEAT ON IT, I JUST WANT TO GET A FEEL OF THE CAR" he says, "hey man, they won't even let ME drive the car and I work here" So I say "DO YOU OWN THE CAR?! and ARE YOU PLANNING ON BUYING ONE!?" he says "well no but".

So then he says, our policy(like the ZO6 deal with you) is to have the papers signed and everything worked out payment wise before you can test drive the car..... So I said basically I can't drive the car until I own it? he says "uhghhghh, well" I just left and said when someone is ready to spend that much money on a car, at least let them take it around the block.

yeah, well I know the car is fast, obviously faster then what I'm driving, but I would not even need to romp on your car, just take it for a 2 mile spin to get a feel of the IRS and the way the car handles and rides, but if you tell me to romp it, I won't argue with you :D

Blakers01GT said:
I know, I mean we're talking about sweet cars here, 03 cobras, Vette's 30-50k cars, but not 911's, Modena's, and lambos ETC. one of the salesmen tells me they don't let 03+ cobras out because one guy came in and beat the crap out of one with the salesmen in the car. I just said "IM NOT GOING TO BEAT ON IT, I JUST WANT TO GET A FEEL OF THE CAR" he says, "hey man, they won't even let ME drive the car and I work here" So I say "DO YOU OWN THE CAR?! and ARE YOU PLANNING ON BUYING ONE!?" he says "well no but".

So then he says, our policy(like the ZO6 deal with you) is to have the papers signed and everything worked out payment wise before you can test drive the car..... So I said basically I can't drive the car until I own it? he says "uhghhghh, well" I just left and said when someone is ready to spend that much money on a car, at least let them take it around the block.

yeah, well I know the car is fast, obviously faster then what I'm driving, but I would not even need to romp on your car, just take it for a 2 mile spin to get a feel of the IRS and the way the car handles and rides, but if you tell me to romp it, I won't argue with you :D

My dealer here lets pretty much anyone drive the cobra's. They have tons of them left over now too. I took mine for a test drive to kill time waiting for my 2002 GT to get a new alternator replaced. Well when I got back from the test drive I drove the car home an hour later LOL.

neoclasiccl said:
My dealer here lets pretty much anyone drive the cobra's. They have tons of them left over now too. I took mine for a test drive to kill time waiting for my 2002 GT to get a new alternator replaced. Well when I got back from the test drive I drove the car home an hour later LOL.

THAT IS SWEEEET! :hail2:

and THAT's WHY you let people test drive! :nice: