03 Cobra Idler Pulley

• Sponsors (?)

95BLBLVert said:
Can anyone tell me how many idler pulleys there are on this car?

Thank you

Well, there are two belts on the car. One which runs the supercharger and alternator on the front and one behind it that runs the rest of the accessories. The supercharger belt is an 8 rib serpentine. I believe the accessory belt is 6 rib.
The supercharger belt has 3 stock idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, alternator, supercharger pulley and crank pulley. I don't know how many the accessory belt has.
Many Cobra owners, like myself, have changed the upper blower pulley to a smaller diameter pulley to turn the blower faster for more torque and HP. Some will add an auxiliary idler pulley which helps rap the belt around the blower pulley to prevent belt slip (I did).

I'll try and post pics.

-Jason

Pics would be great. I want to learn as much as possible about the 03.
I was at the Metco booth at the PRI show but I didn't have time to ask questions. I know they make the auxiliary idler, which I see you use, to increase belt wrap. They also make 90 or 100mm billet idlers. How many of these need to be replaced....3?

The three pulleys with the shiney bolt heads are the idlers. You can only really see the supercharger/alternator belt in this pic. The A/C compressor is visible on the left hand side, but it is hard to pic out the accessory belt behind the supercharge stuff:

03Cobra_engine2.jpg

That helps out quite a bit. Thank you. So the Metco auxiliary idler doesn't replace a stock one, it actually mounts underneath the blower pulley. Does it really benefit to replace those three idler pulleys with 100mm Metco replacements?

95BLBLVert said:
That helps out quite a bit. Thank you. So the Metco auxiliary idler doesn't replace a stock one, it actually mounts underneath the blower pulley. Does it really benefit to replace those three idler pulleys with 100mm Metco replacements?

If you get pulleys with better bearings, yes they help. Also a larger diameter pulley turns slower for the same belt speed. The stock idler pulleys are 90mm in diameter. 100mm pulleys will spin slower at the same belt speed, and by themselves, larger diameter idler pulleys on the top two idlers will help belt wrap some on the upper blower pulley.

I still have stock 90mm pulleys on the 3 stock idlers. I am only using a 100mm metco auxiliary idler with my 2.900" Reichard Racing pulley.

-Jason