03 cobra IRS in a 93 Gt Pics

89gtstalker

Jun 5, 2003
Omaha, NE
  • Sponsors (?)

I wouldnt call it easy. There is some modifications that you have to do. One of the third shock mount bolts lines up right in line with the IRS braket, the other doesnt. What most people do is drill across the frame rail right above the other hole and bolt it, like they show on that page linked above. Fortunately, my good friends at KR performance and restorations, who did the body and paint on my car, www.krperformanceandrestorations.com, custom modify the stock brackets to fit the fox body that are a direct bolt in. Check out there site under the IRS installation tab if you interested in doing this swap, its alot easier with the modified brackets.

Then you have to do something with the bottom frame rail brackets as well. You drill up through the rail and everyone has there own opinions on the correct way to mount these bolts. KR performance is creating a custom bracket to properly fix this issue as well, I cant show this peice yet, however.

The front mounts go to the stock mounting location. You have to modify the rear brake lines to go to each IRS soft line. You also have to change the master cylinder, and either modify the brake distribution block, or the way I did it was get a stock distribution block from a 94 or 95 non-ABS car and adapt it to work with the stock lines. This eliminates the need for an additional proportioning valve, but required re-flaring some of the lines. If you have a 99-01 IRS, the driveshaft bolts right up. If its and 03-04, then you have to change the rear flange.

You also have to remove all of the stock axle bumpers from underneith, and I still have to address the exhaust issue. It is a nice change, and drives a whole lot better

I just picked up a 03/04 cobra IRS a couple weeks ago without the brackets. Thanks for the link I just sent your friends an email. If I understand correctly your brackets are not the same ones pictured on the website?
Kevin

I'm just curious why you guys would want and IRS in a Fox, unless your main intent is road racing?

About every guy I know with a Cobra with an IRS hates the dang thing and is getting rid of it in favor of a live axle. They just suck for straight-line performance, they wheel hop and the whole thing just "hunkers" down and won't hook for jack if you have any kind of horespower.

I guess I can understand if you have mildly modded Fox, 300-400rwhp, cause the IRS would probably do OK in straigtline with that hp plus it would handle like a dream. But you start getting into the 450rwhp range your going to hate the thing unless you poor $1500+ into it for the MM bushing kit and all kinds of other stuff.

i also do not understand the effort of reward ration on this one, i mean the cool factor is ther but you can get almost the same conering preformance with a panhard bar tourqe arm setup with out scarficing the stright line prefomance, and without the expense trying to keep the irs together with any big hp numbers