03 Cobra vs. 03 Mach 1

• Sponsors (?)

hognutz said:
The cobra's just look plain to me. mustang people like them but to average joe they don't look much different than v6.

I totally agree with you the cobra looks exactly the same as a v6 just some nicer wheels, lower, with a nicer front and rear bumper, plus the hood is nicer and a sweet spoiler, plus the interior :shrug:

_StangGT__ said:
I totally agree with you the cobra looks exactly the same as a v6 just some nicer wheels, lower, with a nicer front and rear bumper, plus the hood is nicer and a sweet spoiler, plus the interior :shrug:

I totally agree with you the Mach 1 looks exactly the same as a v6 just some nicer wheels, lower, with a nicer front chin spoiler and same rear bumper, plus the hood is nicer and different color spoiler, plus the interior :shrug:

:rolleyes: :nonono:

Bonehead.

The Mach 1 has an all aluminum, sweet n/a motor. Very strong and very well built, with a great power band.

The Cobra has an iron block, beefier parts to handle the supercharger boost. It's geared to handle a lot of power.

The Mach 1 motor reminds me of a jewel and the Cobra motor reminds me of a dumbell.

cobra.

i've driven an 03 cobra, and 04 mach, an 03 GT, my 01 Cobra, and I'll tell you, my absolute favorite was the 03 Cobra. The mach was so much fun but there was something about the cobra that I loved. If there were 04 Cobras in DSG, I'd probably have one right now instead of my 01.

The Mach will be easier to deal with as an everyday driver. My dad is a service manager at a Ford dealer, and Cobras are in there all the time for problems. Leaky cylinder head (03 "ticks"), leaking IRS. IRS doesn't like 3800lbs of launching for very long. Snapped axle halfshafts. Even at the Ford dealer I work at, I see more Cobras than anything. You could say that you'll leave it stock, but those cars were made to be modified for cheap. It's up to you, but personally I would never buy a used Cobra. Put it to you this way. You'll have the Cobra in the shop a lot more than the mach. You never see GT's or Mach's with any huge problem. But, the Cobra is fast as hell.

I wouldn't buy that Mach for 23k.. Plenty of guys on the Mach1Registry that will sell theirs for 20-21k...

I've driven many 03/04 Cobras.. The wheel hop is quite annoying especially on hard launches or even punching it from a low mph roll.. The clutch feel is extremely heavy. Around town driving and low mph punches, the acceleration is actually better in the Mach IMO.. In the 1/8th mile I routinely kill stock 03 Cobras at the local track. I've taken quite a few in the quarter as well.. But they're gaining on me towards the end of the quarter. A well driven Cobra will take me in the quarter however.. Oh and the gas milage is horrible, especially when you mod it. The IRS sucks!

Now onto the good for the Cobra. I love the looks. I love the eaton! The motor has gobs of potential and cheap to mod for big power. However, that big power is not even useable really for a daily driven car around a city unless you have a death wish or want a ton of tickets. Sure having a 500RWHP car definitely has a cool and wow factor, however it isn't practical. Better tranny, however as other Cobra owners have stated the 6th gear really isn't that useful.

I thought about trading in my Mach a couple times for a Cobra, but after extensive testing I'm glad I choose the Mach. I can kill stock or mildly modified Cobras stop light to stop light on regular basis. Mach is a great car and fun to drive. One of the the best Mustangs ever mass produced.

Man I wish I was in some of you guys position to own a 03/04 Cobra and then be unhappy with it. So many people would like to be in a Cobra owners shoes despite the quirks. All of the Mustangs have their bad sides. The only problem I've had with my GT is that the Drivers side window has come off the track many times. Haven't had any problems yet again though after the warranty took care of replacing the entire drivers side window, motor, and track. The Mach still has a weak doggy T-3650 in it and the weak rods. I could deal with the quirks of a Cobra as long as it's under warranty. The head tick is supposedly resolved in the 04's. Of course by the time the warranty is over you could have modded the quirks out of it. Not to mention the power potential. Gears could solve the low rpm bogging of the Cobra even though all the Cobra owners say gears arent needed. I love both cars and IMO you couldn't really go wrong. Just depends on what you want out of whatever you choose. Other then the warranty If I had a Cobra and put all the time and mod money into it rather then my GT I would have a 600+ hp 10 second Mustang by now and not a mid-low 13 sec. N/A Mustang on street radials.

It's all about what you want (raw power/potential vs. good power/easier driving) and what you want to drive. The power is awesome in the Cobra. I bought a CAI, catted X, c/b total for < $700, and now I'm pushing 400+hp with a warranty. Yes, there are quirks, and every car will have them. I gotta tell you though, these seats are the most comfortable I have been in for any domestic sports car and it's fine for a daily driver.

I haven't driven a Mach, but they seem pretty nice too. The shaker hood does nothing for me, and I honestly can't stand the speedo/gauge style. It's just not what I wanted comparing all aspects of the car. Just drive both (make sure the Cobra you drive has 50+ mi on it, or the supercharger won't kick in) how you normally would, and that should give you some indication as to which one you'll like.

Go with the cobra. I love mine. I test drove the mach and freakin loved it then I drove the cobra and totally forgot about the mach.

Also if you want to add major power later you will wind up spending the extra money to beef the mach and pay for the supercharger. You can get close to 500 horse with bolt ons in the cobra. If you start modding then the money you saved on the mach will be quickly eaten up. I.E. forged rods, pistons, machine work, hassle of rebuilding, supercharger. Plus the cobra has wider wheel and tires if you want some better traction without having to pay for a wide wheel.

If you plan on staying stock then its up to you and you bank account. Both are nice cars. ITs really what you can afford. If its no financial trouble then its a no-brainer to go with the cobra. The cobra has a stronger motor and loves mods no question. Its a heck of a lot easier to finance a car like the cobra that has a supercharger on it then to finance a mach and then finance or come up with the $5000 supercharger later. You will also have a 6 speed from the factory versus a 5 speed.

$21,000 used mach + $5000 supercharger still doesnt have the forged bottom end of a $26,000 used cobra.

CatmanJJ said:
What are these problems?? All I hear is people gettin tons of power out of them, but I wasn't aware of any problems besides teh Ford head tick dealy.
Mostly problems with the cobra's making super power, mostly after market
blowers and what not. The piston's are seeming to be the weak link of the
motor when it's making that much power. For most of us getting 400 and change, we should be ok. Didn't mean to make it sound like there were major
problems. Go on SVTperformance .com and read up on some of the problems.
Rear end pop is a problem I am having right now. :(

CatmanJJ said:
What are these problems?? All I hear is people gettin tons of power out of them, but I wasn't aware of any problems besides teh Ford head tick dealy.
Mostly problems with the cobra's making super power, mostly after market
blowers and what not. The piston's are seeming to be the weak link of the
motor when it's making that much power. For most of us getting 400 and change, we should be ok. Didn't mean to make it sound like there were major
problems. Go on SVTperformance .com and read up on some of the problems.
Rear end pop is a problem I am having right now. :(

Craig Mack said:
The Mach 1 has an all aluminum, sweet n/a motor. Very strong and very well built, with a great power band.

The Cobra has an iron block, beefier parts to handle the supercharger boost. It's geared to handle a lot of power.

The Mach 1 motor reminds me of a jewel and the Cobra motor reminds me of a dumbell.

when one of those lame a$$ rods let go like the one in my GT........ your jewel will become a big piece of coal that you are making payments on & all of a sudden that dumbell is really YOU!!!
forged & blown from the factory rules. not to mention the big gains from every mod.

Badd GT said:
when one of those lame a$$ rods let go like the one in my GT........ your jewel will become a big piece of coal that you are making payments on & all of a sudden that dumbell is really YOU!!!
forged & blown from the factory rules. not to mention the big gains from every mod.

That is what the waranty is for...

I was in the market to buy a cobra but after test driving both and the fact that the mach was $7000+ cheaper I went with the mach and I don't regret it a bit.

I still have thousands less into my car than it would have cost for the cobra stock and I can beat more cobra's than I lose to at the track......

This choice all depends on price. Id say as someone just posted if there is a 7k difference in price go with the mach 1. Eventually if you go all out with either car your going to most likely open up the engine to do some work whether it be p&p heads, aggressive cams, and/or changing out those rods in even the cobra.

That being said look at your end goal. IF your going for all our performance then get the one thats worth it for the money (leaves you the most to do things how you want to). If not and just want between 450-500 hp without dumping alot of money into it go with the cobra as the stock block will handle much more power.

kirkyg

NC98GT said:
BLK_ROUSH said:
With this choice .... you should talk to your insurer first. That conversation may lead you to your decision.

Checked that already, not much difference between the two. $773.82 for the Cobra, and $712.00 for the Mach every 6 months. I'm gonna drive both of em tonight. I called and scheduled a test drive and they told me they have another Cobra, this one is Yellow with 19k miles for the same price as the Black one, I think I can get the price knocked down on that one!

Crap I wish my insurance was that cheap LOL...are you over 25 years old, if so then that explaines it.Mines like 3K a year for an 04 GT with a PERFECT record :notnice: ...anyone know where I can get it cheaper LOL.