'03 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

HairyCanary said:
Anybody know of someone local selling a DSG or sonic blue '03 Cobra? Preferrably with <10k miles... ??
Omg ....did my ears just decieve me......Ok I got it ...your gonna try to find one that likes you...lol... not like the one you test drove wright?You know I gotta give ya a hard time about that dont ya..All kidding aside I think thats great and I hope you find one you like cause I still love mine ...more and more everyday,and i'll know you wont b e sorry...now thats its warm out..who needs a stereo...when you can roll the windows down and listen to that supercharger whine and some borla stingers in the wind :nice:

So you thinking about BUYING your way to a 12 second timeslip......? Just kidding Dave. :D Check out ebay, they get the best prices although probably not local. Here is one that was on a while ago......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...6236&item=2462165372&sspagename=STRK:MESSE:IT

But seriously Dave, if I knew then, what I know now, I would not buy the Cobra with its IRS problems. If you want the power at the dragstrip, go turbo. Look at Blackholehunter..... :nice: If you want a great handling stang and are willing to put up with wheel hop or are prepared to mod to deal with it, then an 03 Cobra will do you fine. As for me, I'm sticking with the IRS and the Cobra, I like the power and the handling since I've now learned to drive within the IRS's limits. I considered a C5 Corvette, and yes, Paul, they can be made very fast, but I want a daily driver not a mod project and I like the looks of the Cobra better. :flag:

You may want to give Skyline Ford in Salem a call. I bought my 03 new a few months ago and they still had more. Ask for Dennis Thiebes, he is a real nice guy and very low pressure. 503-581-2411 Tell him Patrick with the DSG vert sent you.

Later,
Rogue Cobra

It's like this: To get what I want from my 95 will require ~$15k. It'll cost about the same with a Cobra (far less in mods, far more in vehicle cost). So it's probably a wash on the money, if anything the 95 will end up cheaper in the long run.

But I'm starting to think that although I only make ~$70k/year, maybe I can afford to pay more and do less wrench-turning myself... I've spent too much of my weekends recently banging my head against this car trying to solve simple things. If I have to pull the passenger side header *one more time* to fix a leak, I'm going to throw a real life honest to goodness temper tantrum :rlaugh:. I just pulled it yesterday and replaced the gasket, only to find out that the ****er wasn't leaking, so wherever my exhaust leak is coming from, it's elsewhere :bang:.

So I think I'm just about ready to bail on the 100k mile car and pamper myself with a brand new one, ya see? I got rid of my last two Cobras because of all the time the damn things spent in the shop for warranty work... but maybe that's not as bad as I remember, in retrospect...

Dave

Toddzilla said:
Dave, what do you want out of your GT that's going to cost $15k?
Why, horsepower of course :D.

What I would do, in order:

- TKO 600, clutch, yoke, etc, $2000
- Traction, $600

At this point I'll make a run to the track to see if my car can do 12's with 280 rwhp.

- PTK turbo kit, coated, w/T64E head, 42# injectors, $5000
- 31 spline axles, differential, $700

That should be good for 450 rwhp, maybe as much as 500 depending on how risky I want to be. And if I could learn to drive, 11's.

- DART block + internals, $5000

This is for when I blow up the 100k mile shortblock and want something that can safely handle serious power. I'd turn the wick up a little, tune it for 600 rwhp or so.

I'm trying to be realistic on cost, but it'll likely cost more than what I've listed. This also assumes I do all the work myself. What I have not allowed for in this is what I'd have to do to the suspension, or what I would need to change to make it legal in the 11's. I'd have to do this with an '03 Cobra, too, of course.

Dave

Darkness said:
But everybody and their brothers have 03 cobras, and turbo mustangs are rare and a PITA. So... get a vette instead. :D
Ya but not many sisters have them."03 cobras" and besides theres no room for golf clubs in the vette.lol.....and even though we all know corvettes are purrrfect and will never have any problems :bs: ..when you do parts are close too double of what the cobras would be. And Jordan well said I agree with you almost 100% except I would buy another cobra again,like you said its all about driving your car within its limits and enjoying your car for what is has to offer...AND Paul there was only 8394 03 cobra coupes made in 03...390 in yellow...how many vettes were made in 03 world wide...in any color?I do believe if you do the math there will be far less brothers running around in 03 cobras :flag:

HairyCanary said:
Why, horsepower of course :D.

What I would do, in order:

- TKO 600, clutch, yoke, etc, $2000
- Traction, $600

At this point I'll make a run to the track to see if my car can do 12's with 280 rwhp.

- PTK turbo kit, coated, w/T64E head, 42# injectors, $5000
- 31 spline axles, differential, $700

That should be good for 450 rwhp, maybe as much as 500 depending on how risky I want to be. And if I could learn to drive, 11's.

- DART block + internals, $5000

This is for when I blow up the 100k mile shortblock and want something that can safely handle serious power. I'd turn the wick up a little, tune it for 600 rwhp or so.

I'm trying to be realistic on cost, but it'll likely cost more than what I've listed. This also assumes I do all the work myself. What I have not allowed for in this is what I'd have to do to the suspension, or what I would need to change to make it legal in the 11's. I'd have to do this with an '03 Cobra, too, of course.

Dave
Ya Dave I think you would be happy with the cobra and when you start to hate your car(the current one) you may as well get rid of it before something else breaks.

Toddzilla said:
Why not do this instead?

Used S-trim = $1800
ET streets = $300

And run 11s with much less headache? That should yeild over 400 rwhp easily.

Actually, If he'll talk to his brother about Sat. Night at PIR, he will realize that its even simpler...

Toddzilla said:
Why not do this instead?

ET streets = $300

Get the car out there and start learning to drive it on the strip. First time I ran my car last year, I got all 14s. At the end of the year, few to no changes other than some decent tires, I was at 13.0.

Your brother just ran a 12.2 because he put some drag radials on his car and started beating on it. In fact if you hate the car, it may be a perfact time to start running it ;) "Save that hate!"

Dont get an 03 Cobra. Its like me putting a 150 shot on my car and saying "look! I finally got my 12s!" :p

chris

Visceral said:
Your brother just ran a 12.2 because he put some drag radials on his car and started beating on it. In fact if you hate the car, it may be a perfact time to start running it ;) "Save that hate!"
Gregg says the only downside to seeing some 1.8 60' times was the nagging worry about "will this be the time the T-5 lets go..." :rlaugh: Keep in mind that Gregg also has the S-trim, and 100 more rwhp than I do :nono:. So boost is not a bad idea. Too bad I just sold those 94/95 S-trim brackets :D.

Dont get an 03 Cobra. Its like me putting a 150 shot on my car and saying "look! I finally got my 12s!"
It wouldn't be just so I can go a *little* bit faster. It would be to go quite a *lot* faster :D. I'd get a Cobra, put on the KB, swap out the IRS for live axle, add traction, and see what it was worth :banana:.

It's all moot anyway, I decided that Todd is right, and I'm giving up drag racing. I bought an STi today...

J/K. :jester: :p

Dave

saleenster said:
Just buy Will's turbo kit, and you'll be in business...Eric is the man on turbos.....and he lives right around the cornor from you...so to speak.....:nice:
What, he's trying to sell it already? What about the quest for 11's? The day Will gives up on his turbo, it would be a dark day. I suppose maybe he's just going to upgrade, but that would hardly require swapping out the whole kit...

Dave