03 gt a/c issue

njb

Jul 21, 2004
Has anyone had or ever heard of a problem with the A/C system on 03 gt's. So far I have had my car in for service three times for the A/C compressor locking up, causing the belt to smoke and eventually break. I searched the past posts but did not find any reported issues, just wondering if I have a lemon or some issue the dealer is over looking.

• Sponsors (?)

njb said:
Has anyone had or ever heard of a problem with the A/C system on 03 gt's. So far I have had my car in for service three times for the A/C compressor locking up, causing the belt to smoke and eventually break. I searched the past posts but did not find any reported issues, just wondering if I have a lemon or some issue the dealer is over looking.

ok what have they replaced.

Each time they have replace the compressor, the lines, the clutch, the belt, and the refrigerant. It was in for service last Week. I picked it up on Friday and it broke again this morning on the way to work. They may have replaced more but I can't remeber everything off the top of my head.

njb said:
Each time they have replace the compressor, the lines, the clutch, the belt, and the refrigerant. It was in for service last Week. I picked it up on Friday and it broke again this morning on the way to work. They may have replaced more but I can't remeber everything off the top of my head.

tell them too look at the CCRM (constant control relay module) this is the control unit that sends power too the compressor clutch.. also while looking at that look at the low side presure switch. maybe it's not cutting the compressor out when low side presure gets too 20-30 psi..

CCRM's have been a problem on all fords for awile now.

What the dealer is overlooking is finding a reason why 3 compressors have apparently seized. One possibility is liquid refrigerent (which cannot be compressed) being introduced into the compressor. Another is extemely high head pressure (a high pressure switch is supposed to prevent this). Is your blower working? Does the airflow from the vents seem normal? Do you typically rum the A/C with the blower on the lowest setting?

n0v8or said:
What the dealer is overlooking is finding a reason why 3 compressors have apparently seized. One possibility is liquid refrigerent (which cannot be compressed) being introduced into the compressor. Another is extemely high head pressure (a high pressure switch is supposed to prevent this). Is your blower working? Does the airflow from the vents seem normal? Do you typically rum the A/C with the blower on the lowest setting?

even if the high side opresure switch fails. the a/c system is eqiped with a presure bleed. long before the compressor seized the refrigerant would have shot out of the presuure bleed valve.

the liquid refrigerant is very possible.

ford warrenty pays crap for diag.. it is very unlikely you will get a good diag on this.