03 GT vs. 98 Cobra (trade)

its not as expensive as the loss you would take on trading up, or worth the realization after trading down that you made a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm... note to self, THIS FEELING SUCKS!!! After you have already done it and then you're stuck. Keep what ya got man!! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Bahhh, don't listen to most of these haters. If the age or condition of the car is stopping you from trading, that's one thing, but in no way is trading off from a GT to a Cobra and ending up with lesser payments "Trading Down", especially if you like the pre-99 look better, regardless of the year (with the possible exception of the ’05…which has yet to determine it’s worth). There’s more to the difference between a GT and a Cobra than a couple of tenths at the strip. So keep that in mind.

Brisk281GT said:
I see you missed the point of the guys post. :nonono: I'll explain it for you, he was adding up PROS and CONS of both. Both cars make similar numbers on the track and he was just throwing in little differences to set them apart. It's not like he was saying that gas is the reason to buy a GT.

I doubt that 96-98 Cobras have 50rwhp over a 99+ GT. Or they wouldn't make similar numbers at the strip. Yes, everyone on here knows that the DOHC is definately faster up top which explains the mph difference but i think 50hp is a stretch. :shrug:

GT's make about 225 - 230rwhp 96-98 Cobra's make about 260 - 265rwhp

I would hate to be the owner of a 98 Cobra getting beat consistantly by lightly modded GTs....

Save up and trade up, who knows you might rekindle your relationship with your GT

myponyrocks said:
I would hate to be the owner of a 98 Cobra getting beat consistantly by lightly modded GTs....

Save up and trade up, who knows you might rekindle your relationship with your GT

No offense, but in my experiences GT's are way overpraised compared to cobras. I haven't seen a n/a bolt on 99+ GT at my track trap over 102. Most stockers trap around 97, and modded ones around 100. A 2k GT 5spd I raced with 3.73's, a chip, and exhaust at least ran a 14.5@99 with a 2.4 '60. I ran a 13.8@106 with a 2.27 '60 with the same mods (4.10s instead of 3.73s) and a t/a instead of a chip. Annihilated him. Wasn't pretty.

I'm not trying to diss GT's at all, I was going to get one, but you simply cannot compare it to the top end of a 4V 96+ Cobra. After 4800rpm or so the Cobra will blow it away, plain and simple. I think stock vs stock they have very comparable performance under 4000rpm, with the SLIGHT torque edge to the GT. (probably un-noticable) but i'm sick of the lack of respect for the peak HP and top end found only on 4V mustangs.

I'm going to bump my timing up to 14* and head back to the track soon. I'm shooting for a 106.5 trap, if I got 107 I would be overjoyed. I'm not too concerned about my ET since I can't drive. :D I am shooting for around 300rwhp on the dyno.

(97 Cobra - 4.10's, intake, xpipe, bassani cb, steeda t/a)

yeah but you're boosted.....dollars for hp, bolts ons just don't add up well on a NA SOHC 4.6. I could build a 400 horse NA 302 from scratch for less than I can bolt on 40-50hp on my 4.6. I think I might just sell it.....

I am not saying cobras are slow, just that if you have the option to get one, get an 03/04 model and like I said with the above cobra its a vert so hes a bit heavy, did the cobra Dyno higher than me? HP yes about 18 or 20 more (I forgot exact numbers, may be higher, but not by much) TQ I think was pretty similar, but GTs have always been TQ machines when you start doing bolt ons, Cobras seem to be pretty relative in thier gains (ei 400 HP 390 TQ) something like that, that was even the non SC cobras (not the numbers the hp to tq ratio)