'03 motor in my 96?

Black96GT00

May 13, 2005
I have a chance to get an '03 4.6 Sohc with 12000 miles for $1000. Since my car has 140,000 miles it seems like it is gonna be a good idea. anyone know of any important issues with this swap or have an reccomendations?

• Sponsors (?)

Black96GT00 said:
I have a chance to get an '03 4.6 Sohc with 12000 miles for $1000. Since my car has 140,000 miles it seems like it is gonna be a good idea. anyone know of any important issues with this swap or have an reccomendations?

Thats a steal bro! While you are at it, forge the internals of the 'new' engine so that you are prepared for some power in the future.

Joe

02mingreyconv said:
Thats a steal bro! While you are at it, forge the internals of the 'new' engine so that you are prepared for some power in the future.

Joe
Why rip apart a perfectly good low-mileage engine? It makes no sense. :scratch: If he's gonna build one with forged internals, why not drop the new one in the car untouched and build the old block after it's out? Or not bother with the new one at all and spend the money on a beefed up rebuild of the old one?

if your car is still running, leave it in and save a good couple hundred bucks before you drop the new one in. two reasons:

a) headers

and

2) you never know what you'll run into or what you'll need

ridiculous deal btw :banana:

crazynorwegian said:
thats a deal. from what I've read, your going to need to change fuel system from return, to returnless, but other then that should drop right.
Nope....all he needs to do is switch the fuel rails and what not over from the '96 and run the '03 engine with the return system. :nice:

Thanks for all the replies...I already have headers and we have no emissions down here in SC. Are their no issues with starter to flywheel, any sensors (besides the coolant temp on the manifold )?

Gearbanger 101 said:
Why rip apart a perfectly good low-mileage engine? It makes no sense. :scratch: If he's gonna build one with forged internals, why not drop the new one in the car untouched and build the old block after it's out? Or not bother with the new one at all and spend the money on a beefed up rebuild of the old one?

The old engine is a 96 so he will need PI heads etc to make power. The 03 is already out of the car. If he ever wants to add a power adder then now would be the perfect time to forge the internals. For another 2 grand or so he can have an engine that will be good for 600+ hp.

Thats what I would do, but I guess it all comes down to the intended power levels you want to run.

02mingreyconv said:
The old engine is a 96 so he will need PI heads etc to make power. The 03 is already out of the car. If he ever wants to add a power adder then now would be the perfect time to forge the internals. For another 2 grand or so he can have an engine that will be good for 600+ hp.

Thats what I would do, but I guess it all comes down to the intended power levels you want to run.
It just seems easier and more practical to me to just swap out heads (or even have the NPI's ported) later on, than to tear down a perfectly good engine now when a power adder is still miles away. The blocks between the two are essintially the same.

bdcardinal said:
not if he is in CA, or any state following CA emissions laws. he has to convert everything over to 03 spec, fuel system, exhaust (03 stock h pipe).
Thanks for the info bdcardinal, I always appreciate all the good info you put out. Unless the smogger is a Mustang enthusiast, they will never ever realize if you have a 96 motor, h-pipe, headers, fuel system or a 99 and up engine and etc. No way would it be worth to convert the fuel system, computer and wiring for the engine swap just to pass smog when you will pass it anyway(exahust levels). C'mon, all your really doing is putting in a fresher motor with all your stock components. bdcardinal, if someone came to your shop with a pi engine swap, would you seriously fail them? what about a pi headswap? I'm sure it's the CA law but it's BS.

green_fow_six said:
Thanks for the info bdcardinal, I always appreciate all the good info you put out. Unless the smogger is a Mustang enthusiast, they will never ever realize if you have a 96 motor, h-pipe, headers, fuel system or a 99 and up engine and etc. No way would it be worth to convert the fuel system, computer and wiring for the engine swap just to pass smog when you will pass it anyway(exahust levels). C'mon, all your really doing is putting in a fresher motor with all your stock components. bdcardinal, if someone came to your shop with a pi engine swap, would you seriously fail them? what about a pi headswap? I'm sure it's the CA law but it's BS.
technically a PI headswap would be considered an engine change. when i get my smog license i would do my best to check everything, but the motors look so much alike from the outside that theres no easy way to tell them apart, so i probably would "miss" the headswap. i would care about the midpipe though, thats an easy way for me to lose my smog license is to pass a car without OEM cats.