03 mustang GT does not have IRS?

• Sponsors (?)

lol i dont think its very likely the spring will actually fly out of the front, i had to push down rly hard on the a-arm to get it down far enough to get the stock spring out. as for the back, its really easy basically all u have to do is take the sway bar off, then take out 1 bolt that holds the lower control arm to the axle(with the floorjack underneath it ofcourse) then let the jack down slowly, pull the spring out, put the new one in, jack it back up, put the bolt back in, repeat on the otherside, put the swaybar back on, done lol. you dont even need a spring compressor because the control arms go down far enough you can just put the spring in then jack it up with a floor jack.

I was talking to a service manager here at Dimension Ford in Fort Wayne about getting a new set of shocks and struts installed. She said it would be $690 for parts and $250 for labor. A couple hours later she called me back and said she was talking about the job with the mechanics and, since my car is a Cobra and therefore has coil overs, the install charges would be closer to $750. I told her to just forget it after I spent a few minutes trying to explain that my car did not have coil overs but she insisted that all Cobras do... :rolleyes:

Also there is a lot of unsafe advice in this thread. USE A F'N SPRING COMPRESSOR

What spring compressors are you guys that are recommending spring compressors using? None of the parts stores or tool rental places have the correct plate-style compressors for GT springs. I've used the hook compressors before and they scare the **** out of me a lot more then just lowering the A-arm.

ya i was never able to find the right kind of spring compressor so i just used a floor jack for both the front and the rear springs and had no problem. if you take you time and let it down slowly you will have no problem.

ya i was never able to find the right kind of spring compressor so i just used a floor jack for both the front and the rear springs and had no problem. if you take you time and let it down slowly you will have no problem.

I second this. For added safety, I took a thick rope and tied the spring to the car so it would fly if it ended up coming out of the spring perch abruptly. I have done like 5 or 6 spring installs and it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to finish all 4 springs. The rear takes like 30 min and the front take like 45 min each.