.030 over bore question

• Sponsors (?)

Unless your engine is already in need of a rebuild, don't bother with the .030 bore. You might pick up all of about 3-5hp with the ever so slight bump in displacement.....which is something you'll pick up with pretty much any basic bolt on. Not worth pulling the engine and tearing it down IMO.

Some people do it to help unshroud the valves.

The BEST byproduct of .030" over or more is in fact... allows one to unshroud the valves on 2.02" and larger.

There are a plethora of .030" over pistons as well as .155" over pistons. This includes numerous compression heights, ring types etc.

Yes, in most cases it's due to the cylinder requiring the overbore to correct issue such as elongated wear.

ok thats what i thought, it just seems like when people are talking about the performance mods, the first thing they say is bored .030 over, like its some big performance adder.

ok thats what i thought, it just seems like when people are talking about the performance mods, the first thing they say is bored .030 over, like its some big performance adder.

As mentioned... it IS a huge performance adder WHEN you have aftermarket cylinder heads.
If a person spends 1700.00 for nice heads with larger valves, why put them on a 4.00" bore or smaller?
Do some research on "flowed" cylinder heads. The company doing the benchwork almost never use a 4.00" bore. In most cases it's @ 4.060" or more.

To unshroud your intake air charge is a tremendous performance gain.

People will also mention synthetic oils or advanced timing like its some sort of exotic upgrade. :rolleyes:

I dunno, if I had a 306, I'd mention it in my list of mods, too.

As mentioned... it IS a huge performance adder WHEN you have aftermarket cylinder heads.
If a person spends 1700.00 for nice heads with larger valves, why put them on a 4.00" bore or smaller?
Do some research on "flowed" cylinder heads. The company doing the benchwork almost never use a 4.00" bore. In most cases it's @ 4.060" or more.

To unshroud your intake air charge is a tremendous performance gain.

We're talking .015" of gained intake valve clearance... Is it really that much of a gain?

It was always my understanding that .030 overbore was simply to remove any cylinder wall defects on a damaged or high mileage motor. Now, to step up to a 4.125+ bore, I can see where the unshrouding effect comes into play, as well as the performance gain from more piston surface area (and increased displacement).

I guess I'm curious, too... I'd like to see flow numbers in a bore size comparison.

That's fine if you're running a deep breathing top end with a set of high dollar aluminum heads and are trying to eek out ever little pony there is, but for your average joe, its kind of a waste of time and money unless you're already in need of a rebuild, wouldn't you say? :shrug:

Actually, I do agree with you. I was just pointing out there are other reasons besides the added displacement. It's something I'm considering. I don't know about high dollar, but I do have twisted wedge heads and a pretty well matched induction setup.