03ghoststang help please

fast97gt

Jan 2, 2007
north carolina
i need clearafication on a write up you did on gear install, i had 4.10s installed by a shop and i got a pinion whine i think and the shop wont do nothing about it he says that he wouldnt warrenty anything cause i supplied the gears and nothing else but he put a new rear pinion bearing on the pinion gear and dont no why cause the other is fine but any way im gonna tear it down myself and you write is so siple accept one thing explain what pinion preload is, cause the torque specs i got is like 140ft pounds on the pinion nut but your torque specs are like 8 to 14 inch pounds please explain because i no they did a bad install.
P.S. ive rebuilt auto and man trans and ive BUILT engines that exceeded 500 hp on several occations so i no that i can do this
thinks doug
fast97gt

• Sponsors (?)

the pinion bearing preload is done by using a needle type TQ wrench on the nut and turning the pinion until it's withing spec...............

So first you TQ the pinion nut to the 140Ft/lbs then you use the needle type TQ wrench that is in in/lbs and check where you are at, if you land on the specifeid range of 8-14in/lbs then you are set. If not then you stick a screwdriver or punch through one of teh holes to secure the falnge and tighten the nut about 1/16-1/8 of a turn more and recheck till you hit the spec range

Were you correct when you said he put a new pinion gear on? If he changed the pinion gear and NOT the ring gear, you're screwed. They are matched sets and if you change one and not the other, it will NEVER stop howling.

ghost stang would a new rear bearing and an old front bearing cotradict the two preload specs (new bearingS 16 to 25 inch lbs and old bearingS8 to 14 inch lbs)

your better off replacing both and use the new bearing preload spec, but if the bearings that are currently on the pinion are in good condition and you can remove them with out damaging them then you can reuse them....

I have done many that required new bearings and others that the old one can be use but dont mix them by using an old one on one side and new one on the other side