'04 Automatic Transmission Question

newstangman

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Have an interesting noise (bang) with my '04. Cruising at 55 with accelerator maintaining 55 MPH speed and then stomping on accelerator produces a "bang" like a broken transmission mount. If I hit 55 and let off the accelerator and then punch it, it is quiet and just takes off. Had the engine and transmission mounts checked and all are tight and fine. I would think it would bang in the second scenario; not the first. Very strange. Any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

newstangman:

Ease up on those WOT 4-3 downshifts and 3-4 shifts or the OD band is going to burn up.

The bang you hear might be the torque converter unlocking. Can't say for sure unless you datalog and find out what the transmission is doing during the two different shift events (cruise then WOT, decel (no gas) then WOT). Do you know anyone who has an Xcal2 and a laptop? If so, you can log the transmission activities and pinpoint the cause of the 'bang'.

Sorry that this is not too helpful!

Chris

I had the same thing. It sounds like a clunking noise. I took it to Ford a few times and finally got the shop foreman to ride along with me in my car. He then contacted Ford engineering to ask about it. He was told that it was the transmission engaging again. At light throttle, if you lift up on the pedal, it goes into cruise mode. Stomping it locks the converter again. Unfortunately, it makes a scary noise.

I eventually got a Predator and firmed up the shifts. I never heard that clunk again.