'04 Cobra IRS in a GT

FallenPhoenix

Nov 22, 2003
Odessa Tx
A guy on another forum has an '04 Mystic Cobra :)drool: I know) and wants a live axle. My car will be nearly 100% street car and anyway I'm more concerned with handling than with pure straight line performance.

What are the pros and cons of this? How will exhaust work? Will I need a cobra cat-back? or will a GT cat-back clear the IRS? If it happens, install will not be an issue as it would have to be a straight swap with the cars next to each other for me to be willing. I'm almost sure my warranty will be out the window on the rear, but will my entire drivetrain warranty be void? Any possible way I could pull off keeping the warranty since they are basically the same car just different power plants? (as far as the rear end is concerned)

• Sponsors (?)

you'll need the cobra catback. the GT catback wont fit over the IRS, it goes under it. the cons, well you pick up some weight due to the increased complexity, and IMO if you are going to do the swap, its the ideal time to upgrade some of the IRS components with some maximum motorsports stuff.

FallenPhoenix said:
What are the pros and cons of this?

It may not concern you, but you will get a LOT of noise, all coming from the new rear, inside your Mustang. With IRS, the diff gets solidly connected to the car, and through that solid connection, all the rear end noise gets transmitted.

GT-03 said:
It may not concern you, but you will get a LOT of noise, all coming from the new rear, inside your Mustang. With IRS, the diff gets solidly connected to the car, and through that solid connection, all the rear end noise gets transmitted.
i didn't get any additional noise

I've decided to forgo the IRS for now, I think the guy is just going to get an 8.8 carrier and build it up outside the car which is probably the best idea IMO. I may come back to the IRS idea later on when I've got a beater though.