04 Cobra Motor in a 1970 Mach 1?

brentwoodboy

Nov 25, 2002
Brentwood, TN
I have a chance to purchase an 04 Cobra drivetrain. We (dad and I) are currently restoring this 70 and should have it back from paint in 2 weeks or so. We have a BOSS 351 Motor and toploader waiting to go in but I recently saw a 65 fastback with a non SCed Cobra motor and became very interested in the possibility of this, especially since these motors are rated at 390 + hp factory (supercharged). Has it been done? I did a search but wanted to make sure the 04 4.6 with the blower wouldnt be a special exception. Is the modification required worth having the newer motor and 6 spd tranny (not to mention the 4.6 sound)?

• Sponsors (?)

if its already on its way back from the paint shop... it might be too late for you to do this.

you would need to get rid of the inner shock towers and put in a mustang 2 front end to get the clearance for it.

I think it is really cool when people do the modular swaps into the classics, but unless you got some $$$$ it is not worth the hassle. Like the others mentioned suspension will need reworking and then the shock towers will get in the way. The 351 will fit in their perfectly and you will make more power with it too. I have not seen any modulars in teh 69-70 bodies though so I wonder because their engine bays are a lot bigger. I mean they could fit a Boss 429 in there. Hopefully someone with more info will chime that was my personal opinion. Not much bang for the buck.

lets face it, your aiming for alot of headaches and alot of $$ to put the 4v in the car however your already set up to put the boss in it where you could get 400hp for probably half as much as you would pay for the modular drivetrain... to me this is not somthing you do for power reasons you do it cuz its neat

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
I think it is really cool when people do the modular swaps into the classics, but unless you got some $$$$ it is not worth the hassle. Like the others mentioned suspension will need reworking and then the shock towers will get in the way. The 351 will fit in their perfectly and you will make more power with it too. I have not seen any modulars in teh 69-70 bodies though so I wonder because their engine bays are a lot bigger. I mean they could fit a Boss 429 in there. Hopefully someone with more info will chime that was my personal opinion. Not much bang for the buck.
I've seen mod motors in 69/70s and it's no different than doing it in an earlier car.

Boss 429s had notched shock towers from the factory.

reenmachine said:
I've seen mod motors in 69/70s and it's no different than doing it in an earlier car.

Boss 429s had notched shock towers from the factory.

That is what I figured thanks for clearing that up reenmachine. I have seen special shock towers I don't know if they were what they used on the Boss but you can purchase them. They are crescent shaped so you can fit bigger engines in there. All you need is a welder, but I suggest against it since it has been painted.