04 COBRA -- WTF Happened!?

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
So i'm driving down the highway coming home from work. Doing some spirited driving with a supercharged 98 GT next to me, i slow down to probably 40mph have it in 2nd gear and take her all the way up to 6700-6800 RPM, shift into third and continue to go full throttle for maybe 2 seconds before i let off and continue gliding with traffic. The GT give me a thumbs up and takes an exit to wherever and i continue driving.

...about 30-45 seconds after he leaves and I'm driving in traffic in 3rd gear the battery light comes on, the check engine light comes on the car dies as I'm trying to immediately pull over to the side of the road...

...I start the car up and it idles for 30 seconds and dies. I get out, see no problems in the engine bay what-so-ever. Everything is clean and good to go. I hold my breathe and kneel down to look under the engine :rlaugh: . Everything is good there, no hanging pistons, no oil leaks, nothing. Ok i'm like wtf?!

Get back in the car start it up, the car revs nicely, idles nicely and sounds fine. There was NO explosion or bang when it died, and now the car has NO signs of knocking or anything catastrophic....The car then dies after about 2.5minutes of idling.

After managing driving the car slowly back to my BMW shop from where I came around the corner we run some fault codes with a generic scanner: EVAP system error is the only thing that comes up. We clear the fault codes and the car has run perfect ever since.

what the **** happened!?!? Keeping in mind the car JUST came back from being on the dyno with A/F 4 days ago!!! So the car is good to go as far as tuning goes.

What I THINK happened, is that my SCT CHIP that the car is tuned with in the computer, POSSIBLY came loose and lost communication while driving on the highway? :shrug:, causing the car to die. I hear if a chip loses communication you'll see: - - - - - - across the odometer, but I wasn't able to see that happen, it COULD HAVE been there, but i was too busy watching traffic while stalling at 60mph to notice.

Sorry for the long story, but does anyone have ANY idea wtf happend?!?! Car is perfect again...for now.

My mods are in my sig, aside from the fact that i said the car has an SCT Chip in it with a 3 way tune-selector switch. The car has 15,000 miles on her and i JUST did an oil change and fuel filter change LAST weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like a vacuum problem, causing the engine die. But this usually only happens at idle, and it'll feel rough while idling. Many cars can throw a code from doing serious traction/throttle activities and these codes don't go away until you disconnect the Batt for awhile or clear them yourself. Maybe the car's cpu saw this code and thought it best to cut ignition, even though the problem that caused the CEL to remain only happened once.

So i'm driving down the highway coming home from work. Doing some spirited driving with a supercharged 98 GT next to me, i slow down to probably 40mph have it in 2nd gear and take her all the way up to 6700-6800 RPM, shift into third and continue to go full throttle for maybe 2 seconds before i let off and continue gliding with traffic. The GT give me a thumbs up and takes an exit to wherever and i continue driving.

...about 30-45 seconds after he leaves and I'm driving in traffic in 3rd gear the battery light comes on, the check engine light comes on the car dies as I'm trying to immediately pull over to the side of the road...

...I start the car up and it idles for 30 seconds and dies. I get out, see no problems in the engine bay what-so-ever. Everything is clean and good to go. I hold my breathe and kneel down to look under the engine :rlaugh: . Everything is good there, no hanging pistons, no oil leaks, nothing. Ok i'm like wtf?!

Get back in the car start it up, the car revs nicely, idles nicely and sounds fine. There was NO explosion or bang when it died, and now the car has NO signs of knocking or anything catastrophic....The car then dies after about 2.5minutes of idling.

After managing driving the car slowly back to my BMW shop from where I came around the corner we run some fault codes with a generic scanner: EVAP system error is the only thing that comes up. We clear the fault codes and the car has run perfect ever since.

what the **** happened!?!? Keeping in mind the car JUST came back from being on the dyno with A/F 4 days ago!!! So the car is good to go as far as tuning goes.

What I THINK happened, is that my SCT CHIP that the car is tuned with in the computer, POSSIBLY came loose and lost communication while driving on the highway? :shrug:, causing the car to die. I hear if a chip loses communication you'll see: - - - - - - across the odometer, but I wasn't able to see that happen, it COULD HAVE been there, but i was too busy watching traffic while stalling at 60mph to notice.

Sorry for the long story, but does anyone have ANY idea wtf happend?!?! Car is perfect again...for now.

My mods are in my sig, aside from the fact that i said the car has an SCT Chip in it with a 3 way tune-selector switch. The car has 15,000 miles on her and i JUST did an oil change and fuel filter change LAST weekend.

what was the actual code it read ?

what was the actual code it read ?

not entirely sure. My shop foreman was looking at the diag-reader and we just cleared it. I should have wrote it down but oh well. Maybe next time if it happens again.

The car does have an aftermarket ACCUFAB t/B and plenum on it, but i dont see what would have gone wrong with that. I'll have it in the shop thursday night. so i'll go over everything thuroughly then.

Sure did give me a scare though :scratch:

this has happened to me, but slightly different symptoms it didn't idle fine. The vacuum rubber line/hose coming from CAI to noise filter to T/B slid off from the engine heating up so much at the track. Thought i totally f'd up the engine, just needed a lil' hose clamp

After talking things over with my friends and I at work, I think we've come to the conclusion that the evap purge valve must have taken a crap. :shrug: The car runs strong all day long now driving to and from work (100 miles highway total). Now the question is, IF thats the problem, i'm wondering if its the purge valve on the engine bay or the solonoid in the rear of the car.

I'll do further diag on it tomorrow night when i bring it in the shop. Any ideas anyone? Where is SVT TECH mike when you need him :)

^You will get a P0190 code if its that. I replaced mine as well and its a common problem.

Thanks i'll remember that then. Because im goin to the track friday with my friends SCT Xcal2. So we'll se if it comes back and if it shows that.

Although everyone on SVT performance seems to think if my FRPS blew, clearing the fault should not have fixed the issue and i shouldn't be able to continually drive my car, like i can now...no problems with the car at all right now. its weird

Thanks i'll remember that then. Because im goin to the track friday with my friends SCT Xcal2. So we'll se if it comes back and if it shows that.

Although everyone on SVT performance seems to think if my FRPS blew, clearing the fault should not have fixed the issue and i shouldn't be able to continually drive my car, like i can now...no problems with the car at all right now. its weird

whats the rev limiter set at ? did you bump the rev limiter at all ?