'04 gt already knocking?

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by lptheory96, Jun 7, 2006.

1. I have an 04 40th ann. gt, about 40k on it, I may have been a little latye on a few oil changes but when I first crank the veh. It knocks for like 1.2seconds then stops, I think its the rods knocking but it only does it when I first crank it, im wondering if im not just hearing something else, any idea what could cause this so early? thanks.

2. Huh?
    You sure it's not an exhuast leak? have you tried some of the lucas oil treatment?

3. If it happened after an oil change, the oil filter probably has a bad anti-drainback valve. What brand filter is it?

4. Oil filter is the first thing I thought also.

5. Mine does it too. I think its the oil filter. Supposedly the Motorcraft filters have the anti drainback valve. I dont think all brands do.

Will that hurt the engine after awhile?

6. I get a little valve train noise just after starting. It goes away after a few minutes. 2002 with 50K miles. Noisy lifters :)

7. i have an 04 GT and it does the same thing, it started after i used a mobil one oil filter. i was told that the M1 filter has to much restriction. Ford said it sounds like noisy oil pump.

8. It's most likely the oil filter, if it don't have a anti drainback valve you will get that noise. swap the filter out with a motorcraft filter and see if it goes away.