04 GT Cam Swap...

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
Im thinking about swapping my cams out on my 2004 GT... Im not completely sure whether i have a windsor or romeo engine, and that makes me question the cam gears. i have read that some of the cam gears are pressed on, and some are bolted on. I also read that the swap can be done using AFM's cam chain retention tool, so i wouldnt have to disassemble the front cover. Also, I am curious as to which cam would be best for me. I already have l/t headers on the car with an o/r x-pipe and flowmasters, and a cai. I want a cam that lopes but i would like to keep the rpm's below 6500 since im not sure how much the stock bottom end can take. I already have 4.10's out back so im fairly confident it could handle a decent cam. Also, does any one have any idea how the cams might effect emissions??? Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Im thinking about swapping my cams out on my 2004 GT... Im not completely sure whether i have a windsor or romeo engine, and that makes me question the cam gears.

Unless the engine's been swapped, it'll be a Romeo.

i have read that some of the cam gears are pressed on, and some are bolted on. I also read that the swap can be done using AFM's cam chain retention tool, so i wouldnt have to disassemble the front cover.

All aftermarket cams are bolt-on and your Romeo will use bolt-on as well. All you need is a pair of new bolts as the originals are one-time-use TTY parts.

Also, I am curious as to which cam would be best for me. I already have l/t headers on the car with an o/r x-pipe and flowmasters, and a cai. I want a cam that lopes but i would like to keep the rpm's below 6500 since im not sure how much the stock bottom end can take. I already have 4.10's out back so im fairly confident it could handle a decent cam.

My recommendation is Comp 262AHs or an equivalent grind. No loss of low RPM torque, bit of an idle, +30HP at redline, you can use the OE springs and you needn't worry about PTV clearance issues as long as they're degreed correctly.

Also, does any one have any idea how the cams might effect emissions??? Thanks for your input.

Before the KB, my car, with Comp 262AHs, failed miserably with a several-year-old MRT catted H pipe. Suspecting the cats on that pipe may be to blame, I swapped the factory H back in place and passed with flying colours. You've got LTs meaning you can't go back to the factory H. If your mid pipe cats are brand new and good quality, you might pass but be prepared for issues if your jurisdiction does sniffers...

If you go more aggressive than a 262AH (i.e. "Stage 1") type cam, you're only going to exacerbate the problem, especially at idle where HC and CO emissions will be higher.